FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A few RS600 questions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Jaws View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Jaws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A few RS600 questions
    Posted: 26 Apr 12 at 11:15pm
I've often found that the main halyard on the RS600 slips about 5 inches over the course of a sail. At the moment, it's held in place by a short Clamcleat riveted to the mast. Ideally, I'd like to add another Clamcleat, but adding it to the mast would require riveting it to carbon, unless it can be fastened any other way. Are there any other options? I've thought perhaps leading it to a block on the base of the mast and then to a cleat on the deck, but with a rotating mast that might affect how far I can get the boom out downwind. I'm going to replace the rope too, but the cleat simply isn't substantial enough to hold the halyard when I crank on the cunningham, making chop really tough.

Should I replace the halyard with the Kevlar stuff LDC sell or just use Excel Racing or equivalent?

I'm going to add a continuous kicker and cunningham this year. Is it best to lead the cunningham across the foredeck like I've seen on some boats, and if so why? 

I've often had trouble gybing, any tips?

Finally, any recommendations for a mainsheet ratchet block? I'm probably selling the 29er soon, so I can't use the ratchet block off that. I've used a Ronstan 60mm up to now, brilliant block but can sometimes stick upwind and really expensive to buy new. 

Thanks
RS600 794
ham4sand View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote ham4sand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 12 at 11:27pm
are you allowed halyard locks?
John Hamilton
cherub 2645 - cheese before bedtime
cherub 3209 - anatidaephobia
laser 176847 - kiss this
TomB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote TomB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 12 at 11:41pm
What i would do is hoist the sail to the top of the mast and cleat the halyard and then crank on the cunno. i would then release the cunno and pull the main back up to the top. usually works pretty well, but if your halyard is stretchy then that definitely isnt helping.
for ratchet, harken 40mm or 57 mm carbo ratchet thingy is pretty darn good

49er 884
"its win or swim attitude boys" -awesome aussie skiff commentator
Ruscoe View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ruscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 12 at 7:41am
IF i were you i would add another small cam cleat just below the existing one so you actually have two cleats on the mast for the halyard to run through.  I would also replace the halyard and as Tom says above raise the sail and crank a bucket of cunno on to really lock it off before sailing, if it drops do the same process again to tafe out the slop.

olly_love View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote olly_love Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 12 at 8:10am
also you could splice a bit of rope inside of the halyard to fatten it up where it goes through the cleat 
TWO FRANK-Hunter Impala

Jaws View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jaws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 12 at 9:42am
The problem is, once the cunningham's on it's nearly impossible to pull it any further up. Regarding adding another cleat, how could I do that? It's a carbon mast, so I'd be a bit nervous about riveting or screwing, and I can't think of what else to do with it.

Looking through the class rules, no mention of halyard locks is made so I don't think they're class legal.

Edited by Jaws - 27 Apr 12 at 9:44am
RS600 794
rogue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote rogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 12 at 9:55am
I would ask the RS600 yahoo group, or do a search within it for pre-tensioning.

Neptune might be able to help  

You'll need to spend good money on the halyard and LDC have tried and tested the best for each application on their boats, so it would be a tad silly to go elsewhere unless you're planing on experimenting.  

Also you need to check you've not got too much forestay tension on, as I found this caused all sorts of undesirable rig characteristics when I used to 'whack it on' as I knew no better.

Ruscoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ruscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 12 at 10:03am
I wouldn't worry about adding another cleat to a carbon mast, just buy some carbon rivets from any decent chandler.  I had it on my Phantom and it worked well.

Regards the cunningham, you pull the main to the top of the mast.  then pull a truck load of cunno on, then release the cunningham and pull up the slack on the halyard.  At a guess i would say this is standard practice for 600's, but that is just a guess.

You can just about see what people do on this picture here of a phantom (think its Jimbo's boat he may be able to find a bigger version of the pic)

ham4sand View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ham4sand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 12 at 10:09am
wow that's a lot of control lines for an una-rig, what do they do? i never noticed them on a friends when i sailed it, beautiful boat
John Hamilton
cherub 2645 - cheese before bedtime
cherub 3209 - anatidaephobia
laser 176847 - kiss this
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 12 at 10:18am
I guess the first question is what's going on with the halyard. We can be confident that the standard system is potentially adequate, because everyone else uses it.
Next time you sail take an indelible marker pen and mark the halyard at the cleat when raised. If the halyard is slipping then most likely your cleat is worn and needs replacing. If the halyard is not slipping but stretching then different rope or technique would make sense.

Edited by JimC - 27 Apr 12 at 10:20am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>