FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Floating Boat Bags for boats on moorings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ecosail View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote ecosail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Floating Boat Bags for boats on moorings
    Posted: 25 Apr 12 at 3:56am
Just wondering if anyone has used a boat bag on a mooring in an exposed river or anchorage? Also does anyone know how the bags degrade?

Working on alternatives to antifouling...
Yours in sailing,

Chris

www.ecosail.com.au
olly_love View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote olly_love Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 12 at 8:15am
i have seen similar on some boats round me,
but i think the only alternative to antifoul in uk waters is to dry sail.

TWO FRANK-Hunter Impala

Iain C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Iain C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 12 at 1:17pm
...or coppercoat, or ultrasonics...
RS700 GBR922 "Wirespeed"
Fireball GBR14474 "Eleven Parsecs"
Enterprise GBR21970
Bavaria 32 GBR4755L "Adastra"
olly_love View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote olly_love Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 12 at 1:25pm
still dont stop full fouling, our customers tend to go for copper coat, and it works the only issue is it can be a bit temramental on older boats that have already had a coating,
as for ultrasonics im not convinced, and you also hear a clicking when they are in use at night
TWO FRANK-Hunter Impala

nathan View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote nathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 12 at 1:29pm
I saw a SB3 in St Mawes, Falmouth on a swinging mooring with some kind of mechanical hoist lifting the hull out the water. Didnt get a close look though.

Any ideas?
detente View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote detente Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 12 at 12:23pm
The St mawes SB3 lift is a home made affair out of some box section for a frame and some flexi air tubes strapped underneath which are inflated using a dive bottle. This lifts the SB3 hull clear of the water with only the bulb immersed when the keel is up. Works well but it is on a very sheltered swinging mooring would not work in an exposed position. Big bonus it does not require dock side electrics to get it to work!!!
ecosail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ecosail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 12 at 1:07am
Thanks for your comments - I'm not convinced by bags in exposed anchorages - and we still have the disposal issue at their end of life.

An ingenious solution for the SB3 though - I love it.

I think it would be remiss of me not to look into the ultrasonics version further - solar powered - currently you can hear the fish eating the barnacles at night so not sure the noise will be too hectic for the four or five nights a year!

We are based in Sydney so it is relatively warm water.
Yours in sailing,

Chris

www.ecosail.com.au
sampeeter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote sampeeter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 15 at 8:02am
I have this idea that i can cast a mooring sinker in cement with a hole in the middle through which i shall loop and shackle the riser chain. then i will use a 1ton builders bag (filled with air bags) to float the sinker off the slip as the tide rises.

Would bin liners do as airbags?
How big a cement sinker would an air filled 1ton builders bag lift?
Would the builders bag straps be strong enough?

We used to use two oil drums tied together with a length of 4x4 on top.
The sinker was hung below the drums using a strop over the 4x4.
The sinker was carried down the beach at low water using our tractor
And the drum floater attached, as the tide came in the sinker lifted and could be towed out to position and finely positioned in place using warps to nearby moorings. When all was ready using a bread knife on the end of a long boat hook the strop was cut and the sinker dropped into position.

Another permutation of this with bilge keelers was to hang the sinker over the bow of the boat at low water and let the rising tide do the work in a similar fashion. Sometimes the boat was so bows down the prop came out of the water so a second boat as a tug was used.

Finally I have also seen it done with two inflatable dinghies side by side with a beam between them.
 Post Reply Post Reply