FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New PY Website

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 11121314>
Author
AlexM View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote AlexM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New PY Website
    Posted: 14 Nov 12 at 10:38am
Hi Moomin,
I’m not sure that I can answer your question but I’ll give myself as an example. All the single boat classes in our club still currently have a 0 c.f. I think your assumption of a single boat sailed in consistent way is wrong as even if you win every race your position from the mean could vary drastically and then your sailed to PY will be different. Have a look at my 100 PY below, it’s all over the place (and I would hope I sail consistently bad ):

When you have lots of boats it takes the average of their sailed to PY and as you can see on our 400’s the graph the range is smaller thus giving us a good c.f.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 12 at 10:55am
Does that suggest that 100's sail faster in warm water? OMG, maybe Graeme was on to something...
AlexM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote AlexM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 12 at 10:57am
Hadn't noticed that but......... there is a reason for that!
moomin View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote moomin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 12 at 11:03am
Thanks Alex,
Not sure you've quite got the jist of what I'm asking.
Your PY in the RS100 varies over a range of about 85 (995 to 910 ish).  The 400 results vary over a similar range 80ish (895 to 975ish).  The 400's have a higher CF factor therefore becuase they have more data points - more data points better confidence, and the  RS100 CF is low because there are fewer data points. The only reason the 400s can have a higher CF is due to the number of data points because from a rough eyeball of the graph the distribution actually looks less stable. 

My question is what happens if your data continues to follow the same pattern over a range of 80 points but as you sail more races, you will have more data points. So will your CF increase despite the fact it's still only you sailing and it becomes a personal PY?

Simple question:  Does the PY calculator look for a difference between the number of races and the  total number of starters, that would indicate there are multiple boats from the same class entered in the races when assigning a CF.

Edited by moomin - 14 Nov 12 at 11:08am
Moomin
marke View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote marke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 12 at 11:18am
moomin

The PYS confidence factor is a composite metric based on
  • number of samples
  • number of different competitors in sample
  • variation in sample over time
The PYS cannot take account of CSF for a club fleet - however if you have a fleet with a range of skill levels then the PYS number for your boat should be a pretty good measure of a local PY.  If it is for a single boat then less so - and you need to think about the implications for any local adjustment (perhaps considering results obtained for you class at similar clubs - you'll need to consider what 'similar' means (classes sailed, water conditions etc.).  However for a class with a single competitor the cf should never get particularly big - only one competitor and surprisingly I would guess that like most competitors your actual PN varies in a range of 50-100 points across a season so that variation over time will be high (= lower cf).

At my club we take the PYS output as a starting point for the local adjustments and then do some analysis of individual data points across multiple seasons to analyse relative CSF values between our main fleets (remarkably similar with the exception of one fleet).  As several others have noted the introduction of local adjustments has resulted in more competitive racing and a greater mix in the results at my club - this may be one factor in higher turnouts.

Remember this is the first year that the PYS has tried the cf - it is very likely to be tweaked and improved as more experience is gained.

mark

Edited by marke - 14 Nov 12 at 11:19am
AlexM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote AlexM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 12 at 11:20am
My question is what happens if your data continues to follow the same pattern over a range of 80 points but as you sail more races, you will have more data points. So will your CF increase despite the fact it's still only you sailing and it becomes a personal PY?

If that pattern continued i wouldn't expect the c.f. to move from 0 (I haven't seen this happen in any of our single boat classes) but you are correct if it did it would be a personal h'cap. It does take a lot of data for the c.f. to move and then our club only takes a % of the movement when the c.f. is low (see earlier posts)

Simple question: Does the PY calculator look for a difference between the number of races and the total number of starters, that would indicate there are multiple boats from the same class entered in the races when assigning a CF.

It does - it produces the table below at the bottom of each race you enter:

moomin View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote moomin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 12 at 11:30am
Thanks Marke and Alex,
Question answered: it looks for the number of different competitors in the sample - perfect.  No complaints about the new system, a massive step forward.  Thanks for the effort to the team that have put it together.
Moomin
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 12 at 3:22pm
Amused to note that using the old spreadsheet system this season our Laser Radial fleet checked out faster on the water than the full rig boats. There of course is the big challenge for handicapping at a club level.
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 12 at 6:37pm
Originally posted by JimC

Amused to note that using the old spreadsheet system this season our Laser Radial fleet checked out faster on the water than the full rig boats. There of course is the big challenge for handicapping at a club level.

Has it been a windy year? Or are the radial sailors the hotshots and the full rig the normal club sailors?
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
Oli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Oli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 12 at 4:20pm
with the last race of season now complete and only a few short weeks until we start gain at the blackwater sc heres the last 2012 list update

Edited by slop_idol - 20 Dec 12 at 4:21pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 11121314>