FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Boats for all

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Wakef1 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Wakef1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boats for all
    Posted: 26 Mar 12 at 10:37pm
Hi,
Both my husband and I sailed dinghies as kids and into adulthood, and husband was in the navy for 11 years, but we are now feeling entirely out of date as to suitability of different boats. We have four daughters who we want to introduce to sailing. We've found our local club, but can't find anyone prepared to give us much advice as to which boat(s) to buy. Our concept is one 'larger' dinghy that we could all squeeze into (eldest daughter only 8, so they're not too big yet), plus one smaller dinghy that could take me plus 1 child whilst they are little, and then 2 kids once they are stronger.
Any advice greatly received. Only other thing is with 4 little ones, time to maintain is not in abundance, so low maintenance essential!
Jo
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 12 at 11:34pm
Hi,
I'm sure others will chip in with alternatives, but for what you describe I would say a Wayfarer for the big'un and a Feva for the smaller boat would be ideal.
SoggyBadger View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote SoggyBadger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 12 at 9:05am
I'd agree with the Wayfarer for the big boat. For the small boat I'd go for either Mirror, Heron or Gull
Best wishes from deep in the woods

SB

x1testpilot View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote x1testpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 12 at 9:38am
Where will you be sailing her? If mainly inshore then you should take a look at the X0 www.X0dinghy.co.uk This seem to satisfy your requirement. It has a very roomy and uncluttered cockpit, I have sailed with me + 4 kids. One issue with most bigger boats is that they are very heavy, which can be a real pain the X0 hull is only 75kg! It also gives sparkling performance without being scary. Very enjoyable to sail even in almost no wind.

I'm biased, so try one!
I like to take pictures of sailing, but I'd rather be sailing!
LCSC.org.uk
Xdinghies.com/ X0 & X1
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 12 at 9:50am
If you don't mind the weight, then there are plenty of big dinghies out there to choose from. As usual, the only way to find out is to try them. Start with a Wayfarer, then compare it to a Stratos, an RS Venture, if feeling flush, and maybe some of the bigger rotomoulded boats - I'm not sure which are which on them. The X1/X0 would certainly be an interesting choice for a faster but maybe less stable option.

Smaller boats - a huge choice, starting with a Mirror dinghy (they do come in GRP) to test as an older design, with the Feva as a more modern alternative.We went the Mirror route. Otherwise, there are loads of other small boats out there - Comet Zero is rather nice, and a little faster than the Gull, which is also a nice parent and child boat. GRP Gulls are easy to find, usually.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
ColPrice2002 View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote ColPrice2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 12 at 12:26pm
Hi,

Just a thought, my club runs an Open Day - anyone is welcome to come down, look over the club, try sailing (variety of member's dinghies available to try out).
The usual availability is from a lugger to some RS boats (usually courtesy of RS who bring deown a couple of dinghies) and then to the Optimists (great for the s/handed 10 year old). That's an inland lake, but I'm sure that there are other clubs running similar events - keep an eye open and call in.

If you have already chosen your club, then you'll see what is popular there.

HTH

Colin
winging it View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote winging it Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 12 at 1:51pm
Colin is right, have a look around and try some boats - don't rush into a purchase you might regret later.  There will be plenty of open days coming up as part of the RYA's plan to promote sailing this summer, so you should be able to pick and choose. 

I would also think carefully about joining a club where advice is not that forthcoming - you need to go somewhere that you'll make lots of friends, pick up lots of tips, and possibly more importnatly, find lots of friends for the kids, otherwise they simply won't want to sail.  Tell us where you are roughly and there's bound to be somone here that can make alternative suggestions.  There are often clubs that you might not know about, so again, don't rush into a choice.

Nessa
the same, but different...

Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 12 at 1:51pm
It might also be worth having a look at a Comet Trio for the big boat.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
ex laser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ex laser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 12 at 1:52pm
Originally posted by winging it

Colin is right, have a look around and try some boats - don't rush into a purchase you might regret later.  There will be plenty of open days coming up as part of the RYA's plan to promote sailing this summer, so you should be able to pick and choose. 

I would also think carefully about joining a club where advice is not that forthcoming - you need to go somewhere that you'll make lots of friends, pick up lots of tips, and possibly more importnatly, find lots of friends for the kids, otherwise they simply won't want to sail.  Tell us where you are roughly and there's bound to be somone here that can make alternative suggestions.  There are often clubs that you might not know about, so again, don't rush into a choice.

Nessa

+1
Medway Maniac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Medway Maniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 12 at 1:53pm
Another vote for Wayfarer - a GRP boat for every pocket, they've been around so long.  Avoid the 'SD' and 'Worlds' self-drainers - instant inverters in a capsize.  It takes time to sail the non-double bottom boats dry, but at least they are very easy to right (even for my puny 65kg).

Don't overlook the Miracle for the small boat. GRP boats are like gold-dust, but you might be lucky, as older ones aren't seen as being 'fast' by dedicated racers.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>