FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Boats for all

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
ColPrice2002 View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote ColPrice2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boats for all
    Posted: 28 Mar 12 at 12:28pm
Thanks for the support!

Seriously, there's only one way to find out what suits you and yours, and that is to try differerent boats.

I really liked the look of the Europe (small s/hander - at the time there were a number sailed at my home club) - until Irealised that tacking one required me to kiss the floor of the hull each time.
You only learn that by sailing one.

Most owners are quite happy to talk about their boats - different choices etc (may cost a pint or two).
You'll also learn what to look out for in each class (e.g. typical rot areas, type of equipment to desire).

If you find a boat (or boats) you like, don't be put off by non-owners comments (e.g. Solo = So Slow).
If you don't like a boat, you won't use it. Thats's a waste. Using one you like becomes a pleasure - whether it's a gaff rigged clinker dinghy - or a Merlin Rocket.

Do also consider where you sail - a foiling moth isn't really suitable for a small lake...

Cheers,

Colin
Wakef1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Wakef1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 12 at 2:38pm
Thanks for responses. Forgot my login so couldn't reply earlier! 
We live 20 miles north of Oxford, and we're thinking of joining the sailing club nearest to us at Calvert. We will also be taking boats up to west coast of Scotland a couple of times a year as well though (beach launching). Our problem with trying out boats is a lack of dinghy qualifications ( day skippers don't cut it), so using the club botany is out. Can't decide whether to go the bigger boat route, or stick to something a little more moveable, m (maybe laser 2000 or rs vision?) on basis that are little two won't be sailing much for the next few years, by which time the bigger 2 will be off in little dinghies. All advice great fully received. Jo
sargesail View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote sargesail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 12 at 3:05pm
Jo,

I agree with everything said about trying them out.  People will tell you the 2K and the Vision are hard work ashore but they're easier than the big options suggested.  I manage to haul it around some steep slopes by myself and with our 4 year old h-elp/inder-ing.  And it's a great boat for us.  Yesterday we had a two hour session on the water in Chi Harbour, Thorney to Bosham and back, 6 year old girl and 4 year old boy.  The kids are really involved.  They love flying the kite!

The Class Association is really helpful, and the bins in the foredeck hold a lot of warm gear and picnic stuff.

I guess your issue might be what you do with the others until the eldest are in their own boat?

Is the reality that you will be 1 adult and 2/3 with the other adult on child care ashore?  With 4 kids in the boat I reckon the dynamics might be challenging!  Especially as we find the key is to have them all doing something  Mummy/Daddy the crew is just passenger, assistant rope puller when it's a bit breezier. and provider of tasty snacks.

Matt
EmmyC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote EmmyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 12 at 4:18pm
You could go for the Topaz Trez. It is quite roomy for a lot of passengers and can take different rigs such as the Uno which would be suitable for the kids to handle, or the Trez rig for more people to sail. Topaz dinghies are also virtually indestructable and very low maintenance. Having different rigs also means you don't have to buy two boats :)

Emily
patj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote patj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 12 at 5:55pm
Have a look at West Oxford club as it's said to be family oriented and some of our family with children are members there and happy with it. Wayfarers are popular there and also Fireflies.
Pick a club with an active junior section wherever you go.
ex laser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ex laser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 12 at 12:23am
+1 for west oxford.

friends of mine have said good things about it
ecosail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ecosail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 12 at 4:33am
You wouldn't go wrong with a Mirror dinghy, cheap, car toppable etc. - if the lids like it - move up to a bigger boat lake a Wanderer or Wayfarer.

Good luck!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12