FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Laser - to cleat or not to cleat

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
laser193713 View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote laser193713 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Laser - to cleat or not to cleat
    Posted: 14 Mar 12 at 7:12pm
Originally posted by barclay174

Many thanks guys, you have confirmed my suspicions & I will try to avoid the cleats in future (as I can't remove them) with both mainsheet & bum!

GybeFunny - yes I do have the kicker on hard, but being just about off the bottom of the weight range for a Radial I still have to work the main fairly hard to stay upright in anything breezy/gusty!

Try not to avoid them too much with the bum! They are in the perfect place to sit about 80% of the time when going upwind.  Problem is they chew your kit to bits.  I had a pair of hikers that had lasted a good 2 years without any damage ruined after 2 days at a worlds where I was using a charter boat with the cleats fitted. 2 more days and my backside was in a similar state!  The solution, lots of tape on the cleat. Stops it pinching your hikers or wetsuit and cutting it up.  

Perhaps you could speak to the club and suggest they remove them, if nobody uses them, which they shouldn't, then who is going to mind?
maxibuddah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote maxibuddah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 12 at 7:24pm
never did me any harm and were useful in case I wanted to be doing something else with my hands, like tying something off that had come loose. Also as said before very useful for a long sail out, or back from a course and you don't want your arms to ache too much.

As for the ripping of hikers, wear some lycra shorts over the top and it probably won't happen. I had mine for 6 years without too much damage. OK not as fashionable as sporting the latest Zhik gear all over the place for that important camera shot, but sod that I live without it cos the cost is horrendous to replace them. Then again I never went to a worlds so I probably ain't that good upwinf
Everything I say is my opinion, honest
laser193713 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote laser193713 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 12 at 10:12pm
I would have got myself some lycra shorts if I had known that laser would screw cleats on to all the brand new boats that we were using... I didn't ever have a problem in my boat which didn't have cleats fitted. 

I wonder how many cleats have been wasted by laser sending them to people who then don't fit them? Probably easily enough that their value would pay for a boat or two! Probably more...
mattmd View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote mattmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 12 at 6:19pm
Pro- loads are high so can give you a break, don't cleat for too long or get lazy you do need to play the main

cons- sit on the cleat hurts but you get used to it

I had micro cleats and they were great when needed, positioned on the sides and would recommend 
Matt MD
Contender GBR-620

maxibuddah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote maxibuddah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 12 at 9:42pm
Originally posted by laser193713

I would have got myself some lycra shorts if I had known that laser would screw cleats on to all the brand new boats that we were using... I didn't ever have a problem in my boat which didn't have cleats fitted. 

I wonder how many cleats have been wasted by laser sending them to people who then don't fit them? Probably easily enough that their value would pay for a boat or two! Probably more...

Assume that Laser are idiots and prepare for the worst, always
Everything I say is my opinion, honest
winging it View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote winging it Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 12 at 2:49pm
I have to have a cleat now, because I can't hold the sheet for long enough. The megabyte, however, has a centre jameer, which I'm very suspicious of - falling foul of a cleated main was how I shrdeed the wrist in the first place.  I'm now thinking to switch a side deck cleats, given that they will be an inevitable  fact of life from now on.
the same, but different...

Hughph View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Hughph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 12 at 6:08pm
Originally posted by laser193713

When I picked up my boat from laser they gave me the cleats and asked whether I wanted them on when I got there...
Fraggle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fraggle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 12 at 10:05am
When you pick up your own new boat you get the choice of whether to fit them or not.  Charter boats at worlds come fitted with them usually and you are not allowed to unscrew any fittings on a charter boat usually.
bustinben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote bustinben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 12 at 10:32am
Personally, I hate cleats. Cannot see any reason why you would want them  Smile  They get in the way, and when are you going to use them exactly??  I sail out to the start at a laser qualifier at 120% effort to warm up  LOL

Edited by bustinben - 31 Mar 12 at 10:34am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12