FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Protest fees

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
david_e View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote david_e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Protest fees
    Posted: 02 Aug 05 at 9:33pm
What are the views on Protest Fees (£50) for Keel boat racing? My thoughts are that as oppose to discouraging protests they encourage dangerous behaviour, because most bods can't be bothered to pay (accept that some will) and the reckless bank on that.

Edited by david_e
Scooby_simon View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Scooby_simon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 05 at 10:25pm
Don't you get it back if you win ?
Wanna learn to Ski - PM me..
david_e View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote david_e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 05 at 7:18am

Often but not always - even if you do it is the idea of having 'culture' of no protesting unless absolutely neccessary. My experience of 5 years Keelboat racing (aprox 40 races) is that I have seen only one protest and so it is hardly frivelous, but there have been instances of reckelss behaviour (again not many).

Stefan Lloyd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Stefan Lloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 05 at 7:43am

What club is asking for a £50 protest fee? Name and shame.

Of course protest fees are wrong. Human nature being what it is, you only get rules observance when there is a realistic threat of a protest and DSQ. In keelboats especially, even small bangs are expensive and potentially dangerous. You pay your race entrance fees or membership fee for club racing and, if required, a protest committee is part of the "service" you are getting from the club.

There are more subtle ways of discouraging protests: also wrong. I once spent half an afternoon and evening queueing to win and open and shut protest on a port/starboard incident, in which the guy clearly believed I couldn't be bothered to protest. And what did he get? A 1% time penalty. I think if you choose not to do your turns and lose a protest, it should be DSQ. That encourages people to accept alternative penalties.

Post Options Post Options   Quote Stefan Lloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 05 at 7:44am

Originally posted by david_e

My experience of 5 years Keelboat racing (aprox 40 races) is that I have seen only one protest and so it is hardly frivelous

I've raced keelboats for 20 years in several classes and I can assure you that many fleets are not nearly so well behaved.

david_e View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote david_e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 05 at 8:43am

Agree, however I feel that most want to get round without incident, but the with the protection of knowing that the rules, for more dangerous or difficult occassions, are there to support them.

Haven't seen the regs for this years big Jamboree just yet, so will hold back on namimg and shaming for now

lozza View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote lozza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 05 at 10:03am

My dinghy club used to have a fee of £5 per protest with the money going to the lifeboat.  Since then, there have been very few protesters at all. 

The problem is that when you go to an open event and sail the way you do at club level, you find yourself in the protest room without any practise of what to do or say so you're most likely to get a DSQ.

I know everybody wants to be friendly at club level and not have enemies but the rules are not there to be broken because "no-one protests anyway".

What are other peoples experiences with club level protests?

Life's a reach, then you gybe
david_e View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote david_e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 05 at 10:13am
The point you make about protest experience is a good one, in particular about open events. Protesting is all part of the sport and is one way of learning - in 20 years of different types of racing I have only been protested once and enjoyed the experience! (was thrown out )
Harry44981! View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Harry44981! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 05 at 12:11pm

I've been in 5! (2 as witnesses), and i'd say avoid them at all costs- especially at opens where the club members don't understand the rules fully, or how to conduct a hearing, as no-one protests at their club racing. i've won/lost 50:50 in protests , as peoples versions of what happened on the water is often very different, and it's one persons word against anothers. I also found that protest strategy helps, so often a protest veteran can win, by putting his/her case forward better, even though they were in the wrong.

Post Options Post Options   Quote Stefan Lloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 05 at 12:46pm

I've won all mine (four in 20 years) but I wouldn't go into one I didn't fully expect to win: I'd rather do my turns. People do often have different recollections on what happened (to put it charitably) and it helps a lot if you understand who has the onus to prove their case in a given situation. If the onus is on you and the other person is shouting "protest" with no other witnesses, you aren't likely to win a protest no matter how certain you are you were in the right; better to do your turns and get on with the race.

Practice and familiarity with the process definitely helps and to that extent, clubs that discourage protests do their members no favours when they go to opens and championships. The most unpleasant protest I've been involved with was one where the other party was totally clueless and convinced they were in the right when there wasn't an earthly chance they were going to win. They had hurt one of my crew in the collision so there was no way I was letting them off. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>