FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Extreme 40s

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
CurlyBen View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote CurlyBen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Extreme 40s
    Posted: 14 Oct 05 at 2:01pm
I see what you mean, what I forgot to mention in my first post is that I think thye look almost boring - they're too big and heavy for weight shifts to make a huge difference, you're just sat up on the side, but unlike an offshore racer you're probably not going to be able to sail it in extreme conditions! If anyone can arrange for me to have a go and prove me wrong I'd be happy to try 

Edited by CurlyBen
Scooby_simon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Scooby_simon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 05 at 2:36pm

Originally posted by CurlyBen

I see what you mean, what I forgot to mention in my first post is that I think thye look almost boring - they're too big and heavy for weight shifts to make a huge difference, you're just sat up on the side, but unlike an offshore racer you're probably not going to be able to sail it in extreme conditions! If anyone can arrange for me to have a go and prove me wrong I'd be happy to try 

The blurb I read was that they will be racing in up to 35kts

Now that will be exciting (in a brown trousers kinda way )

Wanna learn to Ski - PM me..
Tornado_ALIVE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Tornado_ALIVE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 05 at 2:45pm
Originally posted by Stefan Lloyd

For the most part, by the time people have that kind of money to spend, they are at a point in their lives where something with a keel appeals a bit more.

You're probably right.  You'd never see people buying boats like these

Edited by Tornado_ALIVE
Stefan Lloyd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Stefan Lloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 05 at 2:51pm

I said "for the most part". There are exceptions. For example Stephen Fein in the UK has had a long series of extreme boats, all called "Full Pelt" (he is a furrier).

But several of the boats you showed have sponsor's logos on the side, which tends to prove my point. These are professional's boats, not "people's boats".

Edited by Stefan Lloyd

Post Options Post Options   Quote Stefan Lloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 05 at 2:56pm

Originally posted by Contender443

you should have 2 wish lists. 1. Boats you wish to own 2. Boats you wish to have a go on.

Yes. However I can't decide whether a mini-transat is on my list 1. or 2! 

Actually though, there aren't many boats I wouldn't at least like to try.

CurlyBen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote CurlyBen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 05 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by Scooby_simon

Originally posted by CurlyBen

The blurb I read was that they will be racing in up to 35kts

Now that will be exciting (in a brown trousers kinda way )

I missed that bit! Yeah that does sound pretty exciting, especially as I didn't notice toe straps or anything else to keep the crew and the boat in the same place!

Post Options Post Options   Quote Tornado_ALIVE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 05 at 3:12pm

But several of the boats you showed have sponsor's logos on the side, which tends to prove my point. These are professional's boats, not "people's boats".

As do many yachts.....

My boats have had sponnsor logos on the side too, but I own the boats whilst the sponnsorship $$$$ only help with the running costs.

Don't forget there are mono sailors and cat sailors.  Most cats sailors move onto larger cats when they get older.  Our cat club has a large multi division also with not one of these boats sponnsored.  Most of the owners are successful buisness men, as with those who own large yacths.

If you are not up to the race boats when you mature you may perfer a crusing multi such as....

Post Options Post Options   Quote Stefan Lloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 05 at 3:20pm

Originally posted by Tornado_ALIVE

As do many yachts (carry sponsor's logos)

Actually not that many in the UK. Some classes ban sponsored boats (e.g. Hunter 707 - one of the biggest keelboat classes here). Some race organisations ban them (JOG, one of the two main organisers of offshore races). Some major events have historically charged very high entrance fees for sponsored boats. 

It seems to be different in France where most racing keelboats have sponsor's logos.

Scooby_simon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Scooby_simon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 05 at 3:24pm

Originally posted by Tornado_ALIVE

As do many yachts (carry sponsor's logos)

Actually not that many in the UK. Some classes ban sponsored boats (e.g. Hunter 707 - one of the biggest keelboat classes here). Some race organisations ban them (JOG, one of the two main organisers of offshore races). Some major events have historically charged very high entrance fees for sponsored boats. 

It seems to be different in France where most racing keelboats have sponsor's logos.

I've got stickers on my boat; but I'm not sponsered.

However; I've something in the pipeline (coming to a browser near you soon) that will (hopefully) sponser my sailing....(BTW anyone wanna buy a boat  - or pursuade the wife I should keep the 17 ! and still build the Carbon monster)

Wanna learn to Ski - PM me..

Post Options Post Options   Quote Tornado_ALIVE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 05 at 12:28pm

Stefan,

I can assure you that there are a lot of privatly owned, amaturely raced large Multis out there from 24 foot to 60 foot plus.  Some of these owners are in there twilight years whilst some are younger, sucessful people to shared or co-owmed baots.  Just the same as Yachts.

There are even more private owners young and old that own cruising multihulls also.

You are correct in your statement "I don't think they are for ordinary people"  They are for people who have vision, a disire to own something away form the norm "ordinary peoples boat" to sail a boat that is fast and exciting.

There are many places to race multies, some have the practicality of a yacht and even more. ie accomidation, stable platform for crusing.  More on deck / tramp space.  More user friendly for kids, family and non sailors when crusing (does not heel).  An added advantade of multies are that you can moore then in places where monos can't.....  Shallower water.  You can also run them up onto the beach.

Check out this Fusion 40....  Quiet a fast racing / crusing catamran.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>