FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

MX Ray . What would you do with the rig?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Jack Sparrow View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Jack Sparrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MX Ray . What would you do with the rig?
    Posted: 16 Feb 12 at 6:08pm
Not mine, I had 1190.

A lot of people pour scorn on the Ray, but I I had some amazing rides in it. With a bit more rig development it could have been an fantastic boat. People forget how old it is. Way before the idea of singlehandlng with an kite was common place / accepted as normal, even considered do able by the majority of sailors. The hull is a GREAT shape. It might be easier to lay up a load of uni carbon on to the bottom 2/3rds of the mas to stiffen it up. Than go the shroud / diamonds route.
MattHarris View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote MattHarris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 12 at 7:10pm

I think its a little unfair to suggest burning them, my mates got one and they're a great deal of fun.  They plane absolutley beautifully offwind with the kite up, the hullshape looks stunning.  Yes they are a pain to get back upwind, but i found that sitting forward and digging the nose in and keeping the boat absolutely flat gets you there easy enough.  Equally with the bendy mast don't do for hiking to hard as the rig bends away, its easier to just bear off or point higher, better for your knees too!

Yes, in a race it would be embarrassing and you do have to go very high to fill the kite but its a blasting boat.  Name another boat an average joe can buy for for £500-£1000 that you can take out in anything up to a 35knots and comfortably sail it with a grin from ear to ear.

Sorry if i sound a little pushy, i think that things should be judged on their own merits not be shoehorned them into a category they were never really designed to fill.  Its like going to watch a Jason Statham film and expecting it to be in with a chance of winning best film at Cannes, sit down, have a laugh and enjoy it!

Before you start to cut or change stuff I'd be tempted to sail it in a good wind first.  We've had my mates out in 35 knots with me (15.5 Stone) aboard, kite up and everything and it held together.  Sometimes having the mast self depower isn't such a bad thing...
Phantom 1175 - Alice

http://www.thelostpenguin.co.uk

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jack Sparrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 12 at 5:52pm
I was thinking it might be easier to do what we do on land yachts to stiffen the mast on the bottom 2/3rds and insert some ally tube up the inside of the mast. I would use 3 or so diameters stepped one inside the other to taper the tube down. And sand the tube edges down. And don't leave it inside the mast! This might be a darn site less hassle as well as meaning you are not drilling holes in the boat where plainly it wasn't designed to have them!
laser193713 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote laser193713 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 12 at 6:25pm
Surely the ally would just corrode? Assuming it is a carbon mast...

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jack Sparrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 12 at 8:56pm
Yes that's why I said don't leave it in the mast!

Post Options Post Options   Quote laser193713 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 12 at 9:50pm
I dont really understand what the process is then!? you put some ally tube in, then take it out... what does this achieve? Or do you mean, just put the tubes in when you are sailing? That sounds like a lot of hassle compared to just sleeving the mast with a length of carbon braid? The other option would be to buy a length of carbon tube and put that up the inside of the mast rather than using aluminium.  That way it could be left in place all the time.

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jack Sparrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 12 at 9:34am
Yes put in when sailing! it's a lot cheaper than doing the same with a tapered carbon tube. And adding carbon, be it sock or uni, is permenate and will change the diameter of the mast, and it's smoothness, which will in turn have a knock on affect on the fit of the camber inducers that cup the mast. You could buy the ally for about £20. But if he's got a bit of tapper carbon tube stick that up there. And see how it goes before drilling holes.

Post Options Post Options   Quote laser193713 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 12 at 12:14pm
Ok got you now, misunderstood above! 

On an aside, this think looks a bit like an MX ray without a kite, that rig is all over the place! http://www.2-win.fr/twiner-dinghy.php 
It apparently has some clever swivel in the bottom of the mast step that cants the rig over to windward when you let the sail out to keep the centre of effort over the middle of the boat to make it more stable downwind.  Sounds like a death roll inducer to me! 

Anyway half hijack over!

Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 12 at 6:13pm
There is a review of the Twiner in the latest Y&Y - looks like they have scrapped the mast canting thing.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
Ginge View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ginge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 12 at 7:37pm
It's as an option now isn't it? If you really want it
Laser
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>