FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Thai Mk4 cat

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Max McCarthy View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Max McCarthy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thai Mk4 cat
    Posted: 28 Jan 12 at 12:07pm
Are there any of these still about, just saw it on David Henshalls website, it looks pretty interesting....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v22Hu6

Edited by Max McCarthy - 28 Jan 12 at 12:08pm
Vintage skol moth 3438
Rupert View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 12 at 12:21pm
http://bearfacemedia.co.uk/thaiIV.aspx

Lovely piece of film.

Interesting to compare the Thai to the Nacras on the Multihull forum.

Alan Williams over on the cvrda site may well know of some - he is the owner of a Shark, the 20' B Class version. The concept was used for the early C Class Hellcat series which raced for the Little America's Cup, too.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Max McCarthy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 12 at 12:25pm
Originally posted by Rupert

http://bearfacemedia.co.uk/thaiIV.aspx

Lovely piece of film.

Interesting to compare the Thai to the Nacras on the Multihull forum.

Alan Williams over on the cvrda site may well know of some - he is the owner of a Shark, the 20' B Class version. The concept was used for the early C Class Hellcat series which raced for the Little America's Cup, too.
Thanks, I will PM him asking about it
Vintage skol moth 3438
Andymac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Andymac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 12 at 11:02pm
Originally posted by Max McCarthy

Are there any of these still about

It appears that there is one on ebay right now... needs a little polish though.

Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Max McCarthy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 12 at 11:24pm
Thanks, I wonder how it sails compared to modern cats? I have sailed neither so I can't really put any explanation, it certainly looks like a fun project for someone who has the time, money, and space, but I have none of those Cry if it is bought by anyone on here it would be interesting to see what the refurb is like, and when done, how it sails?
Thanks again.
Vintage skol moth 3438
patj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote patj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 12 at 7:57am
I can remember Alan Williams sailing a Thai mk 4 at a cvrda event at Roadford. I think frightening is the best description, especially if your boat was near - the speed difference was such that you didn't have much time to keep clear!
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Max McCarthy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 12 at 8:17am
How fast would you say the cat was then? It certainly looks fast in the video, but it is hard to put in perspective.
Vintage skol moth 3438
Sheetpuller View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sheetpuller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 14 at 2:05pm
I can remember the Thai Mk4 back in the first half of the sixties; there were three of them in my club. Being a very young sprog I never got to sail in one, the guys that did took racing them very seriously (and themselves too, I think). But the word was that they were very easy to 'twist', which I think meant putting the hulls out of vertical alignment. They certainly seemed to need an awful lot of maintenance in that direction. But on the water they were bloody fast!
I'm not arguing. I'm explaining why I'm right.

Merlin Rocket 3545 - 'Smooth Operator'

Sprint 15 1342 - 'Still Crazy'

JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 14 at 2:18pm
1964 PY equivalent to 749 in today's money.
 Post Reply Post Reply