FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dinghy Show 2012 3-4 March

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 16>
Author
rogue View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote rogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dinghy Show 2012 3-4 March
    Posted: 04 Mar 12 at 7:13pm
Originally posted by Mark Jardine

Originally posted by rogue

Sounds like a pretentious, elitist crock of sh1te Al... sadly that doesn't surprise me with dinghies anymore.

Oddly enough if a 1950's original was so beautifully and sympathetically restored to wow the judges, the fair enough. But a lipstick class tart up with a cheque book... not impressed, sorry.
One of the best pieces of advice I was given when I was a kid is if you haven't got something useful to say, don't say anything at all.

Sorry Mark, I hadn't realised you were on the judging panel.Clearly a symmetric, 20 grand, pimped up 20th century design is the best the dinghy world can offer in 2012....

popeye_ali View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote popeye_ali Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 12 at 7:29pm
Aura is amazing but I have to say Head over heart it looks totally unpractical in all honestly. Build costs I would imagine would be outrageous. Bit like a outrageous concept car if you know what I mean. 

From a practical point of view and realistic build perspective and looks like it would be cool to sail was the Rebel. 
RS400, RS600, RS700, RS800, Int Moth, Laser. Musto Skiff (current)
Mark Jardine View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mark Jardine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 12 at 7:29pm
James, I fear you have completely missed the point of a Concours d'Elegance - it's a contest in which the entries are judged chiefly on excellence of appearance and turnout. In our (the judges) opinion, which is of course entirely subjective, the Merlin Rocket was the best turned out boat at the show.

The past winners have been pretty diverse; a GP14, Redwing and Cherub.

Our shortlist this year was also pretty diverse; a Merlin Rocket, Flying Fifteen and International Canoe.

I loved the look of the Aura, but this couldn't have won the Concours - our judging critera include that the boat on display must have been on the water and also must be on a class association stand.
haroosh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote haroosh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 12 at 7:41pm

Originally posted by Mark Jardine

Sounds like a pretentious, elitist crock of sh1te Al... sadly that doesn't surprise me with dinghies anymore.

Oddly enough if a 1950's original was so beautifully and sympathetically restored to wow the judges, the fair enough. But a lipstick class tart up with a cheque book... not impressed, sorry.
One of the best pieces of advice I was given when I was a kid is if you haven't got something useful to say, don't say anything at all.

Sorry Mark, I hadn't realised you were on the judging panel.Clearly a symmetric, 20 grand, pimped up 20th century design is the best the dinghy world can offer in 2012....

What's your beef with Merlin's.
The 2012 generation Merlin is a very different beast the 1950's type and alot more sophisticated than my 2010 rs100. Challenging boats to sail fast....
Add a nice shiney carbon deck and all that rig adjustment and it's a pretty amazing machine.
Keith
RS100 GBR 116 (XLR8)
rogue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote rogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 12 at 8:11pm
I get the heritage, I guess I would hope the dinghy world would be less superficial Mark. But if you guys judged it to be the best presented boat on CA stand, then fair enough, the ''Crufts Award" goes to the Merlin.

Thanks to the other folks who've taken photos of more interesting things-that's equally subjective of course.

alstorer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote alstorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 12 at 9:18pm
The Aura racks are four piece, for transport- the four bolts that attach the cross pieces to the hull are easily unbolted, the longitudinal tubes then simply slide out, so the four bits can be stowed in the boat. Might need a fair bit of padding or a custom rack to stop them too bashed around though I'd think- but then the likes of the 900 or Rebel wings will need a but of padding in transit too. Maybe not as much the wing bags for the Devoti!
-_
Al
JohnW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JohnW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 12 at 10:20pm
Originally posted by G.R.F.

Pretty much everything looks cool black.

I used to have an all black Albacore.  I guess you would class it as the exception to prove the rule.

ham4sand View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote ham4sand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 12 at 10:27pm
the aura racks are a load of b**locks :/, and not the dogs ones
John Hamilton
cherub 2645 - cheese before bedtime
cherub 3209 - anatidaephobia
laser 176847 - kiss this
Ruscoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ruscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 12 at 10:35pm
Originally posted by alstorer

The Aura racks are four piece, for transport- the four bolts that attach the cross pieces to the hull are easily unbolted, the longitudinal tubes then simply slide out, so the four bits can be stowed in the boat. Might need a fair bit of padding or a custom rack to stop them too bashed around though I'd think- but then the likes of the 900 or Rebel wings will need a but of padding in transit too. Maybe not as much the wing bags for the Devoti!

Dont get it Al? are you saying our wings are heavy or the bags OTT??  One thing is for sure the wing bags are the muts for keeping all your other covers in mid regatta.

ex laser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ex laser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 12 at 11:38pm

I get the heritage, I guess I would hope the dinghy world would be less superficial Mark. But if you guys judged it to be the best presented boat on CA stand, then fair enough, the ''Crufts Award" goes to the Merlin.

Thanks to the other folks who've taken photos of more interesting things-that's equally subjective of course.

loved the aura, great looking boat, but also agreed with mark about the merlin.

a good boat is a good boat whether it was originally designed in 2012 or 1952.

its a very small minded view of the world that says just because somthing is new its good and interesting and that because something is old, its bad and boring.

i always try and judge things on whether they are fit for purpose, not on whether they are new or old.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 16>