FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How to beach a brand new boat ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
patj View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote patj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to beach a brand new boat ?
    Posted: 18 Jan 12 at 8:45pm

Phone either club B or a friend there to sign you in before launching from club A??

James Bell View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote James Bell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 12 at 10:01pm
Use a compact anchor & line to anchor it just off the beach, or capsize just before the shore & lift/or pull the boat up the beach on its side (less surface area to potentially damage).
IOS Sailing Community - www.iossc.org.uk
sargesail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote sargesail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 12 at 10:07pm
James,

That sounds distinctly like Seamanship - get the hence unclean one Wink
Jon711 View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jon711 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 12 at 11:14pm
Originally posted by James Bell

Use a compact anchor & line to anchor it just off the beach, or capsize just before the shore & lift/or pull the boat up the beach on its side (less surface area to potentially damage).

Do you really expect a small singlehander to lie, upright, to an anchor? Not even sure a SoSlo would stay upright!! My thought is take the handheld waterproof floating VHF afloat, and enter on that. I have done that somewhere, but really struggling to remember where!! Old age is setting in, I will soon start rambling like GRF!!

Jon
Blaze 711
RoundTheBow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote RoundTheBow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 12 at 6:38am
James, you could have a point there, so long as the main is dropped. Also a small buoy so that I could leave it domewhere during the race. My uncle uses an old brake disk for his fishing dory as its v rocky where he is.
Jon, at least any scratches would only happen to the deck, not the all important shiny bottom!
One issue with the VHF is finding out the course. Though normally I am nowhere near the front, so can just follow the leader. And I don't think a new boat is going to change that state of affairs.
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote James Bell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 12 at 10:32am
Re: lie upright - depends on the boat and conditions, I think undoing the clew so the boom wasn't directly attached to the sail would help (if the main can't be lowered). It's something I do on my 4000 when coming ashore, to help stablise it (a boat that inherently wants to fall over when not moving). Guess it would be something you would have to try beforehand.
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote James Bell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 12 at 10:48am
Actually a further thought re: the buoy suggestion - anchor the boat, capsize it, tie the buoy to the top of the mast to stop it inverting, sign on, return, attach the buoy to the anchor line, right the boat and sail off lol
ham4sand View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ham4sand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 12 at 10:51am
dont undo the boom! your sail will die very quickly! if you leave sail up, but enought kicker and oputhaul on to stop flogging, plenty of singlehanders will lie fine with a sail up jon : lasers, solos, phantoms, etc!
John Hamilton
cherub 2645 - cheese before bedtime
cherub 3209 - anatidaephobia
laser 176847 - kiss this
skslr View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote skslr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 12 at 6:28pm
We have been using something like this: https://www.segelservice.com/html/artnr/183100522.html
But then again our hull wasn't shiny anymore anyway.
Hughph View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Hughph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 12 at 6:55pm
To the OP Can I ask what new singlehander you have bought?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>