FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ben Ainslie AC Team annoucement

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
JimC View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ben Ainslie AC Team annoucement
    Posted: 10 Jan 12 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by Jon711

the RYA or ISAF, would have the balls to ban Ben from racing?? And I'm not convinced that it would be deserved anywa

Or Australian Sailing, who also have a voice...

I have no idea whether he'll cop a ban or not, and I'm very glad its not my decision, but some sort of further penalty wouldn't be hard to justify. And if the precedents suggest a ban is justified and the RYA don't impose it because its Ben Ainslie then they don't deserve to be running the sport. We certainly don't want to end up like Soccer. I'd tend to hope it would work the other way on the "to whom much is given, much is expected" principle.
Jon711 View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jon711 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 12 at 12:21pm
Originally posted by JimC

the RYA or ISAF, would have the balls to ban Ben from racing?? And I'm not convinced that it would be deserved anywa

I have no idea whether he'll cop a ban or not, and I'm very glad its not my decision, but some sort of further penalty wouldn't be hard to justify. And if the precedents suggest a ban is justified and the RYA don't impose it because its Ben Ainslie then they don't deserve to be running the sport. We certainly don't want to end up like Soccer. I'd tend to hope it would work the other way on the "to whom much is given, much is expected" principle.

Jim,

I can not totally disagree, but both parties admitted they were at fault, would you also envisage a ban for the camera boat?? If not why just pick on Ben?

Jon
Blaze 711
Jack Sparrow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jack Sparrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 12 at 12:46pm

Originally posted by JimC

Jim,

I can not totally disagree, but both parties admitted they were at fault, would you also envisage a ban for the camera boat?? If not why just pick on Ben?

Jon

because he broke a rule that we all sail under.

JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 12 at 1:39pm
Originally posted by Jack Sparrow

why just pick on Ben?
because he broke a rule that we all sail under.

'xactly so. And while the camera boat crew were selfish, thoughtless and arguably made the event less of a fair contest, they didn't actually break any rules I am aware of.
ASok View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ASok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 12 at 1:55pm
I'm sure some sort of suspended sentence for all parties would solve it. Given BA's track record at the highest level it would be hard to level a ban, but a slap on the wrist would set an example.

Good coverage on the streaming though. Thumbs Up - to the site
Laser 173312 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Laser 173312 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 12 at 3:49pm
On this video, there is mention that Ben had already complained earlier in the event about that particular media boat.

Great to see the anouncement today Clap
Lukepiewalker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Lukepiewalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 12 at 5:20pm

How about a three month ban, effective from the incident, back in time for the Europeans in March?

Anyhoo, I digress...

Ex-Finn GBR533 "Pie Hard"
Ex-National 12 3253 "Seawitch"
Ex-National 12 2961 "Curved Air"
Ex-Mirror 59096 "Voodoo Chile"
Highflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Highflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 12 at 8:14pm
Hasn't Ben already been penalised enough by being disqualified from the Worlds?  I believe even that was too harse and should only have been disqualified from that days racing.  From what I have heard, the camera boats had been a nuisance on several occasions and complaints had already been made.  What Nationality was the camera boat and what penalty did they receive?  Were they banned off the race course for the rest of the races?  Did the competitors from their country benefit from Ben being banned?  I, for one, will be very disappointed if the RYA do not support Ben and make sure that he takes part in the Olympics this year.  He is one of this country's best sailors (if not the best) and we should support him. Angry
Jaws View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jaws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 12 at 10:13pm
Whether he should be banned or not, if he isn't allowed to compete at the Olympics it undermines the whole competition just as it undermined the Worlds. If the best Finn sailor in the world isn't there, it can hardly be called a competition for the best Finn sailors in the world.
RS600 794
Teamvmg View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Teamvmg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 12 at 10:16pm
fuBAR!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12