FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Results

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AlexM View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote AlexM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Results
    Posted: 05 Dec 11 at 12:34pm
We had a Handicap start the other week (very windy) and very few finished. 
Out of the handicap start, the club extract fleet result for the Solo's and their series is scored seperatly.  A couple of boats did finish but no Solo's did but those Solo's that went out are down as DNF in their series.  It just looks odd as there are no finishers it that race and a couple of DNF's. 
I don't think there are any unsual changes to the normal set of SI's, I think the results are being pulled out of the main h/cap results as they are the largest fleet and are going to get a seperate prize.

Alex
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 11 at 12:46pm
Seems reasonable. Why are you posting this?
AlexM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote AlexM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 11 at 12:58pm
Just out of interest to make sure it's right. Club racing is far more important than the Olympics and can have heated debates at the bar! (I'm not in any of the fleets concerned  )
At an old club something similar happened where nobody finshed and everyone thought they should get DNF's.
Andymac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Andymac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 11 at 3:02pm
If a boat started correctly and then DNF'ed, what other score could you give them? Granted, it may look slightly odd on the extrapolated Solo fleet results.
Depending on the scoring for DNF as detailed in the SI's/NOR for the series, if it were not used as a discard it could ultimately have a bearing on the overall series score.
As Jim says, seems reasonable.

marlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote marlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 11 at 3:04pm
As long as they 'started' the race it is correct to score them as DNF. The fact that non of them finished is irrelevant.
AlexM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote AlexM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 11 at 3:42pm
Thanks, agreed it does look odd :-) and totaly agree they should get DNF.

I was just checking because if they had their own start (I think) they would of got DNC's as nobody finished?? Please correct if i'm wrong.

Thanks
Alex
JohnW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JohnW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 11 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by marlow

As long as they 'started' the race it is correct to score them as DNF. The fact that non of them finished is irrelevant.

At least one boat has to finish for a race to count (rule 35) but I am not sure how this would be interpreted when the results for a class where none finished are extracted from a larger fleet where 1 or more boats did finish.

My guess would be that the boats score DNF in the main race and the class results would be race abandoned.

Andymac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Andymac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 11 at 8:04pm
Originally posted by JohnW

Originally posted by marlow

At least one boat has to finish for a race to count (rule 35) but I am not sure how this would be interpreted when the results for a class where none finished are extracted from a larger fleet where 1 or more boats did finish.

My guess would be that the boats score DNF in the main race and the class results would be race abandoned.

Ah, well spotted.
It is a bit of a connundrum. 
gordon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gordon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 11 at 11:01pm
The relevant rule is 90.3a "a race shall be scored if it is not abandoned and if one boat sails the course in compliance within the time limit, if any, even ifshe retires after finishing or is disqualified".

In this case a boat in the handicap fleet race finished, so all boats that retired should be scored DNF for the Handicap race, including the Solos. In the Solo race, which started at the same time, no Solo finished so the race should not be scored. The key point is that, in effect, the Solos are sailing 2 races at the same time, a handicap race and a Solo race.

Gordon
Gordon
 Post Reply Post Reply