New Posts New Posts RSS Feed: 29 races in 12 days in all 9 classes at the RS Gam
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

29 races in 12 days in all 9 classes at the RS Gam

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Rupert View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 29 races in 12 days in all 9 classes at the RS Gam
    Posted: 08 Nov 11 at 11:22pm
Originally posted by dontdocalm!

Originally posted by Rupert

By the way, why don't you do calm?!

I just can't stand light wind sailing! Never could!

And..... my daughter bought me a Burgs rugby shirt with a HUGE graphic of a total nutter with "don't do calm...make madness a way of life" written on it. So I'm trying to live up to it!! LOL

Love light wind sailing, but the 2nd reason I can certainly relate to!
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
Neptune View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Neptune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 11 at 8:07pm
Originally posted by bferry

<P style="MARGIN: 5pt 0.75pt"><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Verdana; COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 9pt; mso-ansi-: EN" lang=EN>Waffle!?  are you saying that other boats aren’t worth talking about?<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">  </SPAN>I thought the comparison was interesting, as was the overall experience and challenge.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">  </SPAN>I do admit that it was also a good plug for RS boats, but why not!<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-M**rosoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p></SPAN>

Tongue firmly in cheek don't worry.....note my tag regarding what I sail!
Musto Skiff and Solo sailor
dontdocalm! View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote dontdocalm! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 11 at 7:40pm

I just can't stand light wind sailing! Never could!

And..... my daughter bought me a Burgs rugby shirt with a HUGE graphic of a total nutter with "don't do calm...make madness a way of life" written on it. So I'm trying to live up to it!! LOL

2547 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 2547 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 11 at 7:28pm
Originally posted by bferry

... and I commend Jubby for taking up the challenge.

Challenge? Hardly a big deal was it to splash around Weymouth ...

Has it physically demanding; not really  to what extent was it a challenge?

Sailing solo around the world; that is a challenge ...
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 11 at 7:15pm
Just at our club, Don'tdocalm - not suggesting it needs to be that way, but they do seem to have fun! While I look 62, and am in reality mid 40's, I have had a great time crewing and helming both boats every now and again.

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote dontdocalm! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 11 at 5:36pm

The 3000's are owned in the main by younger sailors.....

I'm sure you're right - but, as a.....ahem.....62 yr old 3000 helm, and I suspect not the only one, I did chuckle over the idea that the 'youth' tag can be so unwelcome! Big smile
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 11 at 4:58pm
Has there been a comparative boat test for the 3000 and 500? I've sailed both a few times and found them both excellent, so long as the person at the back was average weight or below. Neither boat seems to have the hull volume to cope with a big person helming. The 2 500 owners we had at our club switched boats, one to a 400, one to a 505, both having found it a little small, but both enjoyed the ride while they had them. The 3000's are owned in the main by younger sailors, and they have a great time in them and swimming around them!
As for the article - nice idea, but didn't quite work on paper - more the sort of thing I'd expect to see as a blog somewhere.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote dontdocalm! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 11 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by James Tanner

If you want to enjoy you sailing, like a bit of excitement down wind and don't weigh in at 100+kg .... then buy an RS500.
...........if you don't mind being beaten by 3000s now & again Wink
bferry View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote bferry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 11 at 9:15am

Waffle!?  are you saying that other boats aren’t worth talking about?  I thought the comparison was interesting, as was the overall experience and challenge.  I do admit that it was also a good plug for RS boats, but why not!

Bernard
Vareo 249
Miracle 2818
Malta
Neptune View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Neptune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 11 at 9:01am
As I said to James at the weekend.....Jubby was spot on the 600 is the toughest boat to sail, the rest was just waffle to fill out a few pages ;-)
Musto Skiff and Solo sailor
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>