FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

F16 vs. Inter 17 vs. Cherub!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Blobby View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Blobby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: F16 vs. Inter 17 vs. Cherub!
    Posted: 04 Jul 05 at 2:58am

Experts of the Cat sailing world.  I have a dilemma - I have a certain budget to acquire a most excellent sailing craft.  With this budget I can either build my own Cherub or I can acquire a Taipan 4.9, Inter 17, or new wood & epoxy F16 built locally.

I have never sailed Cats before and the main reason to consider a Cat is because there is a growing fleet to join in with whereas with the Cerub I would be alone so any opinions on the relative merits of the above Cats would be most appreciated...Cheers.

Jalani View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jalani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 05 at 8:30am

Blobby,

You say there is a growing fleet of cats where you sail. What class is most dominant?

I like the sound of a new wood & epoxy F16 as it has been demonstrated many, many times that such a construction is far superior in terms of lightness and stiffness. What design of F16 are you considering?

Weightwise, of the three cats you mention, the F16 will be the lightest and therefore easiest to manouvre ashore.

While I like Cherubs, I have to say that although I only ever sailed one once (many  years ago) I would never consider owning one......

Edited by Jalani
Scooby_simon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Scooby_simon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 05 at 9:54am

I have an inter 17 for sale

But as you are in Singapore, that is not much good to you.  I would buy whatever you have locally.  F16 is lighter as said above !

Cheers

Simon

Edited by Scooby_simon
Wanna learn to Ski - PM me..
Black no sugar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Black no sugar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 05 at 11:23am

Originally posted by Blobby

With this budget I can either build my own Cherub

Your family might be grateful if you chose another class, and get it ready made  (bit more living space in the lounge)

Tornado_ALIVE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Tornado_ALIVE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 05 at 12:25pm

I Beleive you have a fleet of Taipan 4.9 in Singapore.  Should look at on off them.  Get a spinnaker kit for it if you wish but keep it stock Taipan specs for fleet racing.

Another option would be F-18.  Should be able to get a Tiger that is a few years old for a very reasonable price.  Fastest growing cat fleet in the world (and perhaps any sailboat fleet) and is only going to get a lot stronger.

Post Reply Post Reply