FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

for 2 to 1 or not 2 to 1

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Contender 541 View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Contender 541 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: for 2 to 1 or not 2 to 1
    Posted: 29 Aug 11 at 11:12am
Originally posted by JimC

So I suppose I am going to have to sit down and design a halyard lock of some description.

Jim - Have a chat with the 505 boys and girls - If I interpret your intention correctly, we have been doing this for years.  We have a device that as you raise the main, there is a point during the lift that when reached, the halyard locks into place at the top of the mast - to release, you raise the main another inch which takes the halyard off the cam and alows the main to fall - no halyard loading on the mast then
When you find a big kettle of crazy it's probably best not to stir it - Pointy Haired Boss

Crew on 505 8780

Lukepiewalker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Lukepiewalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 11 at 11:40am
http://www.seldenmast.co.uk/fittings/content.asp?Category_ID=2
Ex-Finn GBR533 "Pie Hard"
Ex-National 12 3253 "Seawitch"
Ex-National 12 2961 "Curved Air"
Ex-Mirror 59096 "Voodoo Chile"
Jack Sparrow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jack Sparrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 11 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by Contender 541

Originally posted by JimC

So I suppose I am going to have to sit down and design a halyard lock of some description.

Jim - Have a chat with the 505 boys and girls - If I interpret your intention correctly, we have been doing this for years.  We have a device that as you raise the main, there is a point during the lift that when reached, the halyard locks into place at the top of the mast - to release, you raise the main another inch which takes the halyard off the cam and alows the main to fall - no halyard loading on the mast then

You can use a "v" cleat with an external main halyard with a knot in the halyard to place into the "v" cleat. You can also do the same by having a short wire strop using the tail of the strops copper ferrule as the knot that slides into the v cleat. I have used these before, and they are fine, a bit of a pain to find the v cleat with the knot. You also still have all the rope. I prefer the type now on my Farr 3.7 even though it requires rolling the boat to put the sail up.

Edited by Jack Sparrow - 29 Aug 11 at 5:50pm
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 11 at 1:58pm
Yeah, that Selden device looks very neat, I checked it out, but it seems to me that I would need to remove far too much of my very skinny carbon mast tip to make it work... Similarly I don't want to use an external halyard. What I might do - at least as a temporary measure - is just put a bolt through the halyard sheave, add a hook each side and have a loop of string on the head of the main so hoist the main normally then roll the boat on her side on the water and just hook it up. The remote control piston would be neat for derigging, but combining it with a block for the halyard would be a fair bit of fabrication. I have a feeling I'm going to end up making a custom mast tip though.
Ruscoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ruscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 11 at 12:41pm

I had a selden Haliard lock on both my 505 Masts, great bit of kit when it worked, but when the ferell wears, its a bloody nightmare to get the main to stay up (it required a gentle, controlled be firm pull) something i could never bloody master.  I would say that its going to be far to chunky for a canoe carbon mast, especially if yours is even skinnier Jib.  I am sure a couple of cold winters nights in the garage and some carbon and epoxy could see you bash something together Jim, failing that i would think you are going to have to use a finn v cleat or RS300 cleat on the fron tof the mast method, which in itself is a pain to use when its howling!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123