FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What single-hander to supplement my Wayfarer?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
YouGotTheSilver View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote YouGotTheSilver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What single-hander to supplement my Wayfarer?
    Posted: 21 Aug 11 at 9:23pm
Hello all,

I've been lurking around for a while, reading reviews, news and opinions and have been encouraged to seek advice.  :) 

I've been sailing for around 20 years - mainly in an early Mk1 GRP Wayfarer - and with occasional time (helm and crew) on much smaller, lighter, faster boats. 

Due to the recent arrival of my baby son, family sailing time will be much curtailed / completely brought to a halt for a while. Although the venerable Wayfarer will remain in the family, I'm now looking to take a new direction with my sailing in the form of a performance single-hander. I should probably say that I am 186cm tall and around 84kgs. 

My hope is that I can turn my okay-ish experience (but also my willingness to learn and to dispense with some of the "cruiser" habits) to a light and fast boat that will really stretch, challenge and perhaps even scare me initially! Light weight is also a real "must" as the Wayfarer has just about finished my back! 

I'll be sailing almost exclusively inland (predominantly the Lake District) and am unlikely to race initially, so a major class following / scene is less important than a fast, fun boat. This boat will basically be used as and when I can justify time to sail on my own. I also fancy some time out on a trapeze, but that's not the be-all. 

So far, I really fancy a RS600 but this may be madness? For some reason, I'm not keen on Lasers, but happy to reconsider. I am looking to spend up to £4k but can go further for the right boat (individually or class). 

Any opinions and suggestions gratefully received!

Thanks in advance. 

Edited by YouGotTheSilver - 21 Aug 11 at 9:28pm
Mister Nick View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mister Nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 11 at 9:36pm
Get a 600. You'll spend countless hours in the drink and wondering what the hell you have bought but at the same time you'll have a lot of fun and you'll become a much better sailor. It'll be like that with any high performance dinghy or skiff to be honest, it's a massive learning curve. I went from sailing a Topper Topaz with my scout group to buying and helming an RS500 and it was huge jump. But it made me a much better sailor and now I'm having a great time with it.
rb_stretch View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote rb_stretch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 11 at 9:40pm
Obvious choice at your weight and height would be a Phantom. Just what I got when the little ones came along.

Post Options Post Options   Quote YouGotTheSilver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 11 at 9:51pm
Thanks chaps - much appreciated. I am sorely tempted by the 600 but will now check out the Phantom as well. Following welcome pointers over on Turnturtle.com, my short(ish) list is starting to look like:

1) RS600
2) Contender
3) Phantom
4) Supernova
5) Blaze

In no particular order. 
PaulB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 11 at 7:05am
RS Vareo ?
Phantom 949
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 11 at 7:26am
Go to Ullswater and check out the International Canoes. Its a big challenge but its amazingly rewarding when you finally get there.
bferry View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote bferry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 11 at 9:48am

I had to make the same choice around 15 months ago after the birth of my daughter.  I've garaged my Miracle for the time being, until she's old enough to sail.  I went for the Vareo since it is a mid performance boat with a genny to make things interesting.  It can also take additional crew making it quite versatile.  OK, so its not an MPS and it you have to hike not dangle off a wire, but its still challenging and really good fun to blast around in.   In the UK there is also a decent class and RS seem to organise fantastic events especially this year's RS games.

Forgot to add;  on the Vereo you spend more time sailing that in the water especially if you don't get much time to practice.  In my case I don't sail as often as I'd like due to family commitments.  However, when I do get to sail, I spend the time sailing rather than swimming.

Edited by bferry - 22 Aug 11 at 9:51am
Bernard
Vareo 249
Miracle 2818
Malta
Contender443 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Contender443 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 11 at 10:45am
£4k will get you a good Contender. If you are not racing and are sailing without rescue cover in the lake district then the Contender offers a more stable platform than a 600.

There is also more space in a Contender to take a 2nd person out.
Bonnie Lass Contender 1764

Post Options Post Options   Quote YouGotTheSilver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 11 at 10:48am
Thanks for these ideas - the Vareo does look interesting. I am drawn to a trapeze just because I like the experience and I find it easier on the legs, but it's not a "must have", and the option to take another person on board is certainly attractive.

Hmmm, this choice might be harder to make than I'd anticipated! 
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 11 at 11:27am
At 84 kg and £4000, you have the choice of pretty much every boat out there! With a little bit of travelling, it should be possible to try them all. Trouble is, with a baby around, finding the time to try them will be tricky! Certainly worth sailing boats like the 600 before taking the plunge - I decided I like my C of G closer to the bit of the boat that is in the water, and went for a hiking boat - the Lightning, in my case. With all that space, find something you love blasting along on a reach with - the Blaze could be a great choice.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>