FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Boat impacts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
GybinJoe View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote GybinJoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boat impacts
    Posted: 21 Jun 11 at 9:33pm
Whats the worst Boat Crash/Impact that you've seen?
Post a response and pictures if you can!
Laser Standard (Helm)
J-80 (Crew&Helm)
Laser 2 (Helm)
Beneteau(Crewing for multiple boats)
radixon View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote radixon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 11 at 10:45am
err a port/starboard incident between 2 RS Feva's doesn't end well. It happened twice in a regatta I was supporting recently.

I have no pictures sorry.
jeffers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jeffers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 11 at 11:56am
There are 2 incidents that spring to mind...the first was when a Fireball got blown if its launching trolley and lander foredecl against a Laser trolley, left a huge hole in the deck. It went to Winder to be fixed and trhey patched it but did an amazing job, you would never know it had happened.

The other was a Solo who tacked and the boat practically split in 2 as he moved across. The safety boat just about got him back to shore so everyone could see the damage...it was pretty impressive, the boat looked like a cut and shut that had come apart!
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74
Contender 541 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Contender 541 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 11 at 1:19pm
Not seen, but gone down into folk law

505 - 8308 vs. RS400 (I think) - Abersoch

Don't know the exact circumstances, but the RS went in before the shrouds and came out on top of the centreboard casing.  Exit one 505 into the dinghy park in the sky..................... or did it???!!???

The 5oh was written off by the insurance company and a replacement provided
The owner (the name escapes me ?Robertson / Richardson? used to commodore of my own club!! - Burton SC) bought the hull back from the insurance company and had it repaired.
He kept it as a spare and eventually gave it to his lad to sail.
Over the next few years, it got wet a dozen times and then left in the garage
Neil Rabbits (helm on 505 8945) bought the hull off the family earlier this year and re-stringed it.  Quote"I spent as much in string as I did on the boat"
With some old sails (came with the boat) and some other borrowed / donated kit, the boat can now be seen out most weekends - Where??  Back at her original home in Burton.

Edit: Owner was Clive Robinson - sadly missed

Edited by Contender 541 - 22 Jun 11 at 6:50pm
When you find a big kettle of crazy it's probably best not to stir it - Pointy Haired Boss

Crew on 505 8780

ASok View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ASok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 11 at 3:51pm
Port starboard at the Dart 18 nationals a few years ago.  I was on starboard, they hadn't seen me and I saw them too late, nowhere to go and we made contact.  I hit them clean on and survived with minor chipping to the leading edge on my port side hull.  I could see the beach through their hull just back from the bow when I pulled them apart Dead

Felt very guilty, but could carry on.  They limped home and were patched up overnight by Paul at Fluid Boat Services who did an amazing job of sorting the mess out!! Clap

ASok View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ASok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 11 at 3:56pm

Ah one other - Corby 35 just been delivered to Plymouth and we set out on the first race with the new crew.  Absolutely loving the performance and all having a great time of it.  Rounded a mark and I was on the low side winching in the genoa as we headed upwind again.

An X 3something something (heavy Danish yacht) came straight for us / me at full crack.  They wanted to bear away behind us but couldn't because their trimmer had fallen over and couldn't ease off. I had rather quickly backed off from trimming when I saw it coming and they smashed us right at the winch I was using.

Big shark bite out of the Corby that needed the rest of the winter to repair.  I had heard that the X had suffered delamination down the forward section and needed an entire new bow putting on! 
Graham T View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Graham T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 11 at 5:40pm
Osprey 55 "Tebutinnang"
Osprey 1245 "Two Bob Bit"
Miracle 1358 "Thumper"
patj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote patj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 11 at 2:03pm
Lasers have been responsible for most of the damage I've seen - Ents shunted by port tackers.

The worst I've seen was a lovely old Mercury which was holed by another port tack laser who was supposed to be keeping out of the way whilst the old boats started but ploughed rapidly up close to the start line. The Mercury was mended but at it's very next away event with a new owner it was then holed by an Albacore who was avoiding a Laser - back it went to Pete Vincent!
FB-14600 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote FB-14600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 11 at 5:29pm
car accident while being towed...has been posted before but fitted this thread...

Edited by FB-14600 - 23 Jun 11 at 5:38pm

FIREBALL 14928
29er 477
rogerd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote rogerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 11 at 8:09pm
At SGP cant remember which year but at Rutland. FD on port tack, crew called they could clear the three starboard tackers but didnt see the fourth one  A Javelin sshaped hole through the side of a borrowed FD  ooops 

Edited by rogerd - 23 Jun 11 at 8:15pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>