FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Cat Sailing tips

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
mattmd View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote mattmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cat Sailing tips
    Posted: 20 Jun 11 at 9:40pm
how do i tack ? 
Matt MD
Contender GBR-620

Scooby_simon View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Scooby_simon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 11 at 11:57pm
Push rudders over gently but firmly; and not quite all the way; if you do; you will stall the boat. 

Tiller over; as the boat goes head-to ease about a foot of sheet as you need to re-attach the flow when the battens pop.  As you return to the new heading; sheet back in and out you go; if you do stall; back the rudders and reverse out. 

Remember you cannot spin on a pin-head and if windy you will go into the tack at 10+ kts (hopefully) and so it will take a little time to get going again. 
Wanna learn to Ski - PM me..
shadeux View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote shadeux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 11 at 9:30am
Originally posted by Scooby_simon

Push rudders over gently but firmly; and not quite all the way; if you do; you will stall the boat. 

Tiller over; as the boat goes head-to ease about a foot of sheet as you need to re-attach the flow when the battens pop.  As you return to the new heading; sheet back in and out you go; if you do stall; back the rudders and reverse out. 

Remember you cannot spin on a pin-head and if windy you will go into the tack at 10+ kts (hopefully) and so it will take a little time to get going again. 

Matt, don't cross too too early during the tack and avoid waggling the tiller as you cross. easily done but kills boat speed. Try holding it down firmly on the rear beam so that your turn is nice and smooth. Even more critical in light winds. Probably obvious but the faster you are moving the less rudder you need. Keep that in mind as you go into the gybe but keep your speed up otherwise you will get into all sorts of trouble as the pressure kicks in hard.
 Enjoy
Bruce
Shadow002
Stuart O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Stuart O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 11 at 9:39am
where should the traveller be?

will depend on conditions. Personally I sail with it in the centreline all the time even when howling apart from the start or in extreme risk of capsize...think of it as a panice button...its either off or on...fully dumped or on the centreline

Downwind DO NOT release the mainsheet use the traveller...dumping the mainsheet with kite up=broken mast
English Dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote English Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 11 at 3:52pm
Simon, everything you've said is accurate. But IMO way too complicated for a first regatta. Don't forget that the fastest way to sail any boat is to keep looking out and not looking in. So as long as Matt's basic setup is ok and he can work the downhual then I'd leave fine rig adjustments for a later date.

Best to keep his head out of the boat to look for shifts, lifts and other boats. Ive seen the best sailors win in a bad boat - but not seen a bad sailor win in a good boat.

And i still dont think you can fly a hull on spitfire downwind. Your F16 has tabs on the rudders to stop nose diving. You would need to be trapezing so far back on a Spit to stop that happening. I see all Spifires running very broad downwind and keeping it flat but heated. Happy to be wrong but I just haven't seen it! Send me the youtube link!

Matt has crewed an F18 so he knows the workload a crew is under. And he can sail a Contender, so he should know about feeding the rudder gently in a tack. Telling the guy about crew taking the mainsheet is totally unrealistic for a makeshift team.

Its rare that I disagree with you Scooby but i do think you have made Matt's weekend more complicated than it needs to be. 

English Dave
Ballyholme Yacht Club

(You'd think I'd be better at it by now)

Hurricane 5.9 SX
RS700
G.R.F. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote G.R.F. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 11 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by Scooby_simon

we have to take strategic decisions; 

LOL

Like which corner to bang?
LOL
Scooby_simon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Scooby_simon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 11 at 4:22pm
Originally posted by English Dave

Simon, everything you've said is accurate. But IMO way too complicated for a first regatta. Don't forget that the fastest way to sail any boat is to keep looking out and not looking in. So as long as Matt's basic setup is ok and he can work the downhual then I'd leave fine rig adjustments for a later date.

Best to keep his head out of the boat to look for shifts, lifts and other boats. Ive seen the best sailors win in a bad boat - but not seen a bad sailor win in a good boat.

And i still dont think you can fly a hull on spitfire downwind. Your F16 has tabs on the rudders to stop nose diving. You would need to be trapezing so far back on a Spit to stop that happening. I see all Spifires running very broad downwind and keeping it flat but heated. Happy to be wrong but I just haven't seen it! Send me the youtube link!

Matt has crewed an F18 so he knows the workload a crew is under. And he can sail a Contender, so he should know about feeding the rudder gently in a tack. Telling the guy about crew taking the mainsheet is totally unrealistic for a makeshift team.

Its rare that I disagree with you Scooby but i do think you have made Matt's weekend more complicated than it needs to be. 

Naa Dave; Just covered the basic!

Not as high as my F16 no; just skimming; look on Youtube for any of the Spitfire vids; windward hull just kissing the surface.  I've romped around the IOW on one and few had a hull up with the kite up most of the way.  
Wanna learn to Ski - PM me..
English Dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote English Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 11 at 7:07pm
OK Simon. Whatever you say Tongue
English Dave
Ballyholme Yacht Club

(You'd think I'd be better at it by now)

Hurricane 5.9 SX
RS700
ASok View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ASok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 11 at 8:13pm
Biggest thing is to get used to in cats coming from dinghies is the the time required.

Do not think you can bang a quick tack and lee bow another boat.  The boat will go slow through the tack and you may well park it a few times.  Give yourself time and space otherwise you upset a few people! Smile 
mattmd View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote mattmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 11 at 2:36pm
Thank you for the advice :) 
When we come in there is a ramp and not a huge margin for error, what's the best way to slow the thing down ? 
>come in fast and swing it into the wind? 
>slow as possible all sails flappping and go straight
> drop the main and sail in on the jib 

???? 
Matt MD
Contender GBR-620

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>