FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Which boat as women's skiff?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Poll Question: Which boat as women's skiff?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
9 [18.75%]
13 [27.08%]
13 [27.08%]
13 [27.08%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Mark Jardine View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Mark Jardine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which boat as women's skiff?
    Posted: 07 May 11 at 5:13pm
Now the decision has been made that there's going to be a women's skiff in the 2016 Olympics, what boat do you think should be used?

Sorry I messed this up first time by putting 29erxx in the question box instead of a poll answer! Embarrassed

Edited by Mark Jardine - 13 May 11 at 2:01pm
Skiffman View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Skiffman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 11 at 5:23pm
Going to be an interesting evaluation, I know theres a few more skiffs yet to come out. 

Only problem is that the girls will be faster than the men, well thats the rumors of a few of the classes...

49er GBR5

teamfletcherandsign.co.uk
Team Fletcher and Sign campaign site
Lukepiewalker View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Lukepiewalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 11 at 7:24pm
Just a thought that has occured to me, how would a downgraded 49er go compared to an uprated 29er? ie Put a smaller rig on a 49er to tune it for a lighter crew weight. Would potentially have the advantage of all the 49er hulls in circulation.
Ex-Finn GBR533 "Pie Hard"
Ex-National 12 3253 "Seawitch"
Ex-National 12 2961 "Curved Air"
Ex-Mirror 59096 "Voodoo Chile"
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 11 at 8:11pm
It would certainly fit the Laser/Radial way of thinking, but would (like the radial) be a bit of a bodge. The hull would still be as big and heavy, but the people on it smaller.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
alstorer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote alstorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 11 at 8:32pm
it would be as much of a bodge as the XX is.
-_
Al
Menace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Menace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 11 at 9:38pm
There was a sport's rig for the 49er once upon a time..... Didn't really take off.

Wouldn't hold my breath on the "our boat will be faster than a 49er" rumours. The I-14 and Cherub boys have been up to that one for years, don't think they're close. As much as people want to argue it, length has a lot to do with it, even when planing.
Lukepiewalker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Lukepiewalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 11 at 9:49pm
It was the length I was thinking of, try and avoid t-foils and nosediveyness.
Ex-Finn GBR533 "Pie Hard"
Ex-National 12 3253 "Seawitch"
Ex-National 12 2961 "Curved Air"
Ex-Mirror 59096 "Voodoo Chile"
Foiling_Toff View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Foiling_Toff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 11 at 12:01am
While I still think an open or mixed skiff may have been better, it will be interesting to see what they now come up with.  Personally the only existing boat I can see in with a shout is the rebel.  More new designs to come I'm sure.
Stevie_GTI View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Stevie_GTI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 11 at 10:35pm
Of the people who have voted I'm guessing most have seen the rebel and xx, but how many have seen the 900 project?
Adamk93 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Adamk93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 11 at 11:06pm
Here's an idea. What about the standard 29er? They can take the weight of heavy people (like nathan outteridge) while still being controllable by light tikes. And they are fast, despite it being a small youth boat. With a few small mods (like a real mast with lowers and a better kicker/gnav system) I reason that it'd be excellent for exciting sailing (speed/spray and capsizes) and excellent racing (plenty of tictacs and close racing). Plus the fleet is well based and boats are cheap. But then I am slightly biased Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>