FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

making trapezing easier

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
rickstar 1027 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote rickstar 1027 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: making trapezing easier
    Posted: 20 Feb 11 at 9:22pm

hi i have just moved from a laser 1 to a laser vortex however keeping the laser until the money runs out but straight to the poin ive seen all of these videos on youtube about ready rings and one about the wand system i need somethink that is easier then the traditional method any advise Confused

Mirror 58430
Laser
Vortex 1027
Ruscoe View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ruscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 11 at 9:55pm
Riskstar,
What part of trapezing are you stugling with? Or need to make easier?  then mayber we can recommend some techniques.

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote rickstar 1027 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 11 at 10:45pm
basically i struggle with wire to wire fast enough/and un hooking with one hand wilst swinging in ?
Mirror 58430
Laser
Vortex 1027
tim grasse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote tim grasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 11 at 11:23pm
long post here

I’m probably not the best person to give advice but when I’m sailing i find it easiest to grab the handle and lift yourself up to unhook and the elastic attached to the ring should make you unhook.

when I tack the most important skill I have learnt while trapezing is the ability to sail well with the mainsheet and tiller in the same hand, if you can sail well like that you can grab the ring with your free hand, hook in and then use that hand to keep tension on the ring so it doesn’t come unhooked then its just a matter of swinging out when ready.

hope this helps.

another thing i was told by a very good sailor is that if you can sail the boat well while standing on the gunnels unhooked easily you will find that the time spent hooking in and unhooking between tacks much easier and over time this will become fluent and will become 1 motion from unhooking to trapezing on the next tack

hope this helps

Tim
alstorer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote alstorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 11 at 6:50am
How about giving it some more practice if you've only just switched? The Vortex is a relatively forgiving platform for mistakes I thought? It's not the easiest thing in the world, yes- but that surely is half the fun.
-_
Al
winging it View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote winging it Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 11 at 7:54am
and sew a hook onto your harness to hold the loose end of the sheet.  That's what the contender guys do.  But Al is right, keep practising the traditional method - some people can actually tack fast that way if the're nimble enough.
the same, but different...

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote rickstar 1027 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 11 at 8:03am
lol i know im being really nevous about wednesday up the club its the windyist ive been out in it but a hook for the main sheet
wont the mainsheet just slide thourgh?
Mirror 58430
Laser
Vortex 1027
simonrh View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote simonrh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 11 at 8:58am
I find on my vortex that it was all about practice! I had never trapeze helmed before I bought mine.
I don't find I make it go about fast enough to do true wire to wire tacks like I have seen some other guys classes doing anyway so i get a little thinking space.
Make sure you stay on your feet if possible to keep mobile.
Received wisdom seems to be just chucking the mainsheet away for the first half of the tack, collect it as you go past the turret (dumping a bit of tension as you go though the eye of the wind if it is blowing to save ending up in irons). This gives you one hand for steering and one for lifting yourself up and aiming for the rear of the boat. As long as the trapeze bungy is fresh it shoul djust ping away.

I remember watching a couple of vidoes of Alan Grant on youtube sailing his "vortex x" to get a few pointers.
Vortex Asymmetric 1064
Dart 18 7118
Smartkat stunt sailor extraordinaire
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote rickstar 1027 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 11 at 9:24am

yh but about that hook thing why doesnt the rope just fly out

Mirror 58430
Laser
Vortex 1027
winging it View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote winging it Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 11 at 9:28am
you ease then cleat the sheet as you go into the tack, throw the end into the boat then go under the boom and out on the other side, tiller in one hand trap in the other.  You have the tail of the sheet tied off in the boat, so once you're hooked on you take the sheet from the hook and sheet in.
the same, but different...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>