FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Open meeting entry fees ~ how much is too much?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
G.R.F. View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote G.R.F. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Open meeting entry fees ~ how much is too much?
    Posted: 06 Jan 11 at 10:01pm
Jesus you lot are such tightwads..

I looked up an old (1980) NOR, entry was £12.50 back then.

What's needed is sponsorship assistance, but until there's some suitable feedback i can't see that happening, imagine sponsoring a debacle like the QM?
tomoore1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote tomoore1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 11 at 10:01pm

I don't mind paying £20-25 for a weekends sailing but £30 is pushing it a bit once you add on fuel, food etc.  I understand I may be coming from a different perspective being a student.

Restoring Firefly 517
Bryn_14 View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bryn_14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 11 at 10:13pm
I'd say up to 15 for one day maybe 25 for 2. It's really about the travelling as well though. 

I've always wondered, what's the justification for double handers costing more?? I understand that there are 2 people but it doesn't cost/isn't any more hassle than a single hander surely??

rogerd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote rogerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 11 at 10:26pm
Originally posted by Bryn_14

I'd say up to 15 for one day maybe 25 for 2. It's really about the travelling as well though. 

I've always wondered, what's the justification for double handers costing more?? I understand that there are 2 people but it doesn't cost/isn't any more hassle than a single hander surely??

Agreed. I have always wondered why it sometimes costs twice as much for a two hander. Do the 18s pay three times more. Agreed you have two people to share the costs but the club will have two people to buy drinks and eve meals etc. If families come to spectate thats even more filling the club bars takings. 
It still needs the same number of safety boats to cover 20 single handers as it does to cover 20 doubles.

Discrimination thats what it is... Ouch
Skiffybob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Skiffybob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 11 at 11:18pm

[/QUOTE]
Do the 18s pay three times more. [/QUOTE]
And the rest.  I think that they usually end-up paying about £60 per boat for a weekend event (£20 per head), but they need more resue cover also, which costs extra.

I agree (as I did last time this thread went around) with Grumph.  Don't be tight.

If the club doesn't make any money, then why should they bother holding events for you.  It needs to be worth their while.  £30 is nothing to pay for a 2-day event. That's the cost of a theatre ticket or a very cheap curry, or 1 night on a campsite pitch, or a couple of games of bowling for 2, etc...

You need to support the clubs or they won't support you, and it'll be you lot who end-up losing out because there won't be any more events to go to, and you'll have to go and watch football at £50 a time instead (then think how you'll feel to spend all that money to watch a bunch on foreign ballerinas falling over and crying for a whole 90 minutes). Wink

You have been warned....
12ft Skiff - Gordon Keeble and the Furry Fly-by
AC - GBR271 - Whoosh
B49 - Island Alchemy
rogerd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote rogerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 11 at 11:36pm

I agree if you take fuel accomodation food etc into account the entry fee is peanuts. A weekend event at £30 is more than a fair price when compared to how much is spent on gear for the boat and gear for sailing in.

still dont see why single handers pay lessthan doubles. 
Paramedic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Paramedic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 11 at 7:29am
The thing is it all adds up. I start to think very carefully once a weekend will cost more than £100. There are only so many weekends that cost that much that I can sustain in a year, it's not being tight you can't spend what you don't have!
One club tried to charge £40 for a two day event last year and the class rep told them we'd all have gone to the pub, had lunch and gone home! She was probably rignt.

Edited by Paramedic - 07 Jan 11 at 7:31am
Merlinboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Merlinboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 11 at 7:59am
Don't the clubs make money at the bar/galley? Its all a bit short sighted for me.  Charge less get more people to attend, sell more tea, coffee, sarnies.  Make more money. Dependant on event i do however think that £15 per day is top, top whack.
Fraggle View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fraggle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 11 at 9:39am

The laser Q's cost us £45 for a 2 day event (5 races).  By the time you add on trekking to Plymouth/Pwhelli etc and accommodation/food they are very expensive.

Menace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Menace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 11 at 10:30am
Originally posted by Skiffybob

Do the 18s pay three times more. [/QUOTE]
And the rest.  I think that they usually end-up paying about £60 per boat for a weekend event (£20 per head), but they need more resue cover also, which costs extra.

I agree (as I did last time this thread went around) with Grumph.  Don't be tight.

If the club doesn't make any money, then why should they bother holding events for you.  It needs to be worth their while.  £30 is nothing to pay for a 2-day event. That's the cost of a theatre ticket or a very cheap curry, or 1 night on a campsite pitch, or a couple of games of bowling for 2, etc...

You need to support the clubs or they won't support you, and it'll be you lot who end-up losing out because there won't be any more events to go to, and you'll have to go and watch football at £50 a time instead (then think how you'll feel to spend all that money to watch a bunch on foreign ballerinas falling over and crying for a whole 90 minutes). Wink

You have been warned....
[/QUOTE]

+1... Absolutely spot on, for what it's worth, I think that sailing clubs get a lot of bashing for the good jobs they do. £50 for a weekend event wouldn't be too bad compared to the cost of everything else in this world.

Too many people complain about things like club sailing is in decline, but in the same instance begrudge paying a little to help run a club through regatta fees. Less people spend less time in the bar at sailing clubs nowadays, so what's wrong with the cost of fees going up a little. I'm more peeved about the cost of fuel going up, increases in boat insurance, the price of bread, etc, etc..... Don't have any complaints about event fees as I don't actually mind paying the money to support a sailing club and see it as something that needs to be done to support the sport I enjoy doing. You don't get nothing for free nowadays. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>