FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Winter clothing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Dizzydoggy View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Dizzydoggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Winter clothing
    Posted: 14 Nov 10 at 8:24pm
Hi, I am new to sailing, any ideas on what clothes I should purchase for sailing my dinghy on the winter?
zailor View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote zailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 10 at 8:32pm
Many use dry suits with lots of thin thermal layers or 5/6mm winter wetsuits/Steamers

look through older threads theres one or two like this i think
mattmd View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote mattmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 10 at 10:09pm
If you've just started you will probably get wet especially as its winter so there is nothing more off putting than being really cold. 
My vote is that you get a Drysuit. 

Look at some other posts their are loads of the best gear for winter sailing
Matt MD
Contender GBR-620

alstorer View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote alstorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 10 at 6:54am

It depends a bit on what you're sailing. You'll find that people sailing higher performance boats are more likely to wear wetsuits through the winter- less flappy material, not such a big deal if you get a rip- whilst those sailing lower performance (and, oddly, catamarans) tend towards drysuits more- altogether more pleasant most of the time!

Then there's crazy people, often sailing Lasers, that stick with 3/4 length hikers through the snow.

-_
Al
doeywizard View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote doeywizard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 10 at 6:25pm
Dry suit, sailing in a wetsuite is freezing and paying a bit extra to be warm is well worth it, underneeth just were themals (there are there big fleesy suites to go under that other say are good but I think wooly jumpers are as good!) 
Mister Nick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mister Nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 11 at 4:42pm
I wear a 5mm surfing Wetsuit with a thermal rash vest, thermal legging type things, Rooster Hotsocks and Gill 3 Season Gloves :) I haven't got cold yet.
doeywizard View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote doeywizard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 11 at 10:15am
I would say a dry suit and one of the big baby grow type things that people were under them, at first I was just going to sail in winter in roosters layer gear such as the hot top and poly pros but you will still get cold if you go in the water, the dry suit is defiantly what I would recommend after I bought a new one this year. I had a very old one last year and that put me off them a bit, old ones are heavy, uncomfortable and bulky, what I am trying to say is that you shouldn't just buy the first one you see, it is important that they are right as you could result in not wanting to go out. I have a new typhoon max b and would recomend it to everyone.  
jeffers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jeffers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 11 at 12:19pm
As Al pointed out is does depend on what class of boat you are sailing and how dynamic you have to be in the boat.

Some boats where you are not working as hard you will need to wear more (so say a dry suit with associated under layers) where as another class where you are working hard you can wear less (such as a Laser).

Also factor in how likely you are to go for a swim, getting wet is a sure fire way to getting cold in no time at all. Also your location, if you are only a couple of minutes from shore (i.e. inland at a small club) and can get ashore quickly and warm up then you may choose to wear less than if you are out on the sea.

My personal experience is that I sail insland on a small piece of water and I sail a Laser (which is a very physical dyanmic boat) and I am unlikely to go swimming unless it is really windy. This means whilst I may be cold on shore I know I will soon warm up once the race gets going so I wear a layer system consisting on 3/4 length hikers, a base layer with an aquaufleece over the top. If it is really cold i will add an extra layer up top. I find a drysuit does not really work in a Laser as it restricts my movement too much, others find it is OK.

Also don't forget a waterproof fleecy hat and a decent pair of gloves that give you plenty of feel but keep your hands nice and warm.
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74
windnwater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote windnwater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 14 at 3:52pm
Personally I think if you're sailing a beginners boat you should be able to get away with wearing a good winter wetsuit. Something thick and flexible. There are plenty of good surf suits around the £130 mark, if you find you're still cold get yourself a spray jacket to keep the wind off. It should make learning to sail leisure and race easier than trying to move about in a drysuit and won't be such a hinderance if you end up in the drink. Gill make a really good Spray top for £60 that I have. It's worth spending a little more on your winter gear believe me! Warmth, comfort and quality should be your top priorities! Especially on a lake! There's lots of Gill stockists in the UK, this is where I got mine from they do free delivery: http://www.boylos.co.uk/products/view/gill-dinghy-top---red
It doesn't have to Gill though, but I use alot of their stuff because they are a middle brand, dearer and better than GUL etc. but not as expensive as Helly, etc. Hope I've helped :)
PeterG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote PeterG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 14 at 5:22pm
Personally I think if you're sailing a beginners boat you should be able to get away with wearing a good winter wetsuit.

While my preference has always been for a dry suit I'm well aware that many are happy with good steamers. However, I'm not really sure the beginners bit above is very relevant - a beginner in a beginners boat may spend a lot more time in the water than an experienced sailor sailing something much harder to keep upright. Also some boats are inherently wetter than others - in a Laser in any sea you are sitting with your bum in the water a lot of the time, and sailing a boat like a Dart 16, which might well be characterised as a beginners' boat is like sitting in an upside down shower in any breeze. So rather that split boats into beginners' boats and others it might perhaps be more useful to distinguish between wet and dry(er) boats? And recognise that what's best is going to be a reflection of personal ability and preference and the boat sailed. 
Peter
Ex Cont 707
Ex Laser 189635
DY 59
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>