FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dinghy for a Middle Aged Starter

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
sinkingfeeling View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote sinkingfeeling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dinghy for a Middle Aged Starter
    Posted: 03 Oct 10 at 7:55pm

I started sailing this summer have passed my RYA level 2 in early September. I've really enjoyed it so far and wish I'd taken it up years ago!

I'd really appreciate some advice on a dinghy I can single handed but that I could also sail with crew and possibly take my 7 year old daughter out for a sail.

I sailed a pico a few times and found it quite uncomfortable and pretty excruciating on my knees, particularly the next day.

I'm a fairly fit 42 year old man who goes mountain biking three times a week.

I'm happy being out on the water and so racing isn't really part of the equation yet. I like the look of the more classic boats; timber decks etc.

I hope you can help!

Edited by sinkingfeeling - 03 Oct 10 at 7:56pm
A Seabadger View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote A Seabadger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 10 at 8:11pm
Whats this about 42 bieng Middle Aged!!!?

I may feel like a 70 year old the day after a breezy sail and long race, but at the time .....

Sea Badgers Mum.
I don't suffer from insanity...I enjoy every moment of it.
Wee Man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Wee Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 10 at 8:24pm

40's, for god's sake man you're in your prime. I crew an F18 cat (I'm 41) helm is well into his 50s (he'll hate me for that) picos are the spawn of satan (only boat I've ever lost sunglasses on).

sinkingfeeling View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote sinkingfeeling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 10 at 8:27pm
Thanks so far... I didn't really intend this to be an age related post - anyone got any suggestions on the boat?
Any help much appreciated!
Late starter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Late starter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 10 at 9:17pm
There are many boats that could meet your requirements.   As you've just done your Level 2 and may want to sail with your 7 year old you probably don't want anything too quick or tippy to start with, unless you both want to swim a lot!   I used to sail a Miracle when my daughters were younger, which is relatively roomy and stable and has many mixed or adult/junior crews.   A few people I know sail them single handed too.  The classic father/daughter boat always used to be the Mirror, though personally I find them a little small, though again these are simple boats to sail single handed.  Classic boats - yes those wooden decks look fanstastic, but perhaps better as your 2nd boat rather than a 1st one?  You will more than likely experience the odd learning mishap as you gain more time in the boat, so you may be better doing this in something not too complex (or expensive!!)   As you've noticed, some of the newer plastic boats can be a bit shallow - if you have knee trouble you want to go for something with a relatively deep cockpit.

But the best thing to do is find a club you like and go and see a few boats in action. Most dinghy sailors are friendly sorts, and love to talk boats.  There are plenty of nice clubs in Derbyshire too, eg Ogston, Carsington, Staunton Harold, Burton etc. Have a look at the clubs section in the Y&Y website.  Good luck in your search, it's a great sport at whatever level you want to get to.
radixon View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote radixon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 10 at 9:29pm
As your daughter is only 7, there is no point getting a double hander (boat with a jib) just in case she hates it.

If you are after a boat that you could take her out in, but mainly so you can sail, I'd say something like a Solo or Lightning. Easy to manage and available at not a lot of outlay.

Budget/sea/inland/weight etc will all help with the recommendations
Wee Man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Wee Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 10 at 6:54am

You've also got to make sure it's not too heavy to pull up the beach/slip on your own. I sail a Miracle with the kids (9 & 6). it has a really good layout with cutout towards the front so the little people get the feeling of sitting out in safety without having to perch on the edge of the boat.

Pierre View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pierre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 10 at 8:59am
You sound fit as a flea to me  
Getting a slightly heavier boat should be a doddle.
7 years olds like to trapeze...
Get an Osprey.... you can take the wife as well then Tongue

MerlinMags View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote MerlinMags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 10 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by radixon

As your daughter is only 7, there is no point getting a double hander (boat with a jib) just in case she hates it.

But if she has to sit there with no important rope to pull, she might get bored.

The Mirror has often been portrayed as a 2-man or 2-kid or 1-man dinghy. Wooden ones are available.
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 10 at 6:47pm
I'm biased, but I think the prettiest of the Father and Daughter (I'm 44, daughter is 8) boats is the Firefly. Varnished all over, they turn heads wherever you go!

But just go have a go in all the boats you can lay your hands on.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>