FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

49er hull weight

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Tecamac View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Tecamac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 49er hull weight
    Posted: 01 Oct 10 at 8:56am
Hi, I'll be seeing an old 49er in 2 weeks time : looks good, nice equipement, trailer and everything, good value for money. For my programme, i.e. learning and practice, it sounds great. The only thing is that, given its age (1996), I'm not sure about the real (meaning hidden) state of the hull. Do you guys think I could be surprised by the hull's weight? Do you think there might be risks of water being kept inside? Wacko
Many thanks for your answers
Laurent
Merlinboy View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Merlinboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 10 at 9:39am

I may be wrong, but don't 9ers tend to ge a bit floppy and have issues with the wing mounts on older models. Not sure about weight, they are heavy boats anyway.  But i would doubt it would make much difference as a training boat. Even if it had taken on a bit.

Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 10 at 10:57am
A lot less difference than the head shaped hole in the main sail after the 1st crash and burn!
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
craiggo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote craiggo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 10 at 10:07pm
It really depends on the boat. My old 49er GBR055 although old was in pristine condition. The boat had had two previous owners before me the first of which had it as an Olympic campaign boat, and even etended his garage so that the mast fitted inside! The second owners were the class chairman in the uk and the class website guy. They spent almost as much as a new boat on getting everything sorted out by Ovi's to the point where it was effectively re-built to the same spec. as boats in the 700 numbers.
Just look over it really carefully and check its not loosing rig tension. Wing attachment slides need to be checked, as if they rip out in a capsize they make a mess.
roadrunner View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote roadrunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 10 at 10:44pm
don't over tighten the wing track bolts that screw into the hull. the plates in the hull are only brass and you can strip the threads. 

on hull weight, i would just aim for a hull that does not leak - that will save you 2 or 3kg each time you sail
 Post Reply Post Reply