14 [40.00%]
18 [51.43%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
G.R.F. View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote G.R.F. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Back to back racing
    Posted: 08 Sep 10 at 9:22pm
As paying regatta entrants, doing it largely for enjoyment, how many races do you think it is fair to be expected to race one straight after the other back to back, with the resultant early timeout and lack of equipment (and body) maintenance between races?

MerlinMags View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote MerlinMags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 10 at 9:37pm
I can barely manage one big race without needing a wee, let alone 2.
timeintheboat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote timeintheboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 10 at 9:54pm
Assuming on the sea. Given about 1 hour per race ,  1 hour in and out. 40mins between races (for the 1st boat), 3 races per day makes 6 hours on the water. Not unreasonable. Take some water, energy drinks and cereal bars - not a problem. Can be grim at either end of the wind spectrum.

If I've travelled to go sailing that is what I want to do. For a multi-day event there should though be some flexibility in the SIs to shuffle the programme by adding subtracting 1 race per day on the discretion of the PRO.
Like some other things - sailing is more enjoyable when you do it with someone else
bert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote bert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 10 at 11:43pm

I agree with "timeintheboat" on this one,However I feel for you in poole at the weekend it did look at tad windy,sort of glad that I am here.

Personally I think you all did rather well to complete the event & hope that the training day info was recorded for the people who couldn`t attend. 
Phantom 1181
AC-227 IC 304
blaze / halo 586

alstorer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote alstorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 10 at 7:44am

Depends how long the races are, doesn't it?  I have to say, reading the RS100 Nats reports I was wondering what genius decided to make one of them an "extra long" race.

B14 TT events we usually do three back-to-back, of 50-60 minutes. If it's the Musto guys that have organised it (often shared TTs), it'll be four, but a bit shorter.

I think it also depends upon the length of the regatta somewhat.

-_
Al
ifoxwell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ifoxwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 10 at 7:49am
Personally if the option is available I dont like to have any back to back...

I like events that go

Race 1
Early lunch
Race 2
Afternoon Tea and Cake
Race 3
Beer and curry

Ian
RS300
Quagers View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Quagers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 10 at 9:07am
Thought the 200's got it about right couple of weeks ago, originally scheduled for 2 per day but when we got behind we went to 3,  which wasn't horrendous  but when it got windy the last beat of the last race was a struggle, glad they didnt try for 4.
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 10 at 9:08am
It depends so much... Its quite different if you're racing 5 minutes from the beach to if you are racing 45 minutes from it...
blueboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote blueboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 10 at 9:23am
I think at a championship lasting a few days, it's reasonable to expect to be on the water 4-5 hours a day. Assuming it's a commute to the race area, that's two longish or three shortish races. For shorter events a longer day on the water may be acceptable.
Contender 541 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Contender 541 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 10 at 9:25am
The 505 Nationals - last week - were 2 races per day all (with one exception) of a nominal 1.5 hour duration - the exception being the 'race of the year' wihich is 2.5 hours. 
We operate a Silver finish for anyone more that 10 minutes behind the lead boat so the turn around can be pretty swift if needed.
Lunch in between races
30 - 40 minutes from the shore
Total is around 4.5 to 5 hours on the water - plenty thanks very much
When you find a big kettle of crazy it's probably best not to stir it - Pointy Haired Boss

Crew on 505 8780

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>