FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Suunto Watches

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
catmandoo View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote catmandoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Suunto Watches
    Posted: 31 Aug 10 at 1:05pm

Any having a bad time (sorry pun not intended )

I have the missfortune of owning a Suunto Yachtsman, which has decided to reset its self to jan the first 2000 at 1800 hrs at random intervals , I only noticed this when I bought a new strap to use watch on holiday previous to that it sat by my bed since last year when last used it was fine , ( wonder if its got a 2010 bugg ???) Suunto seem to be well aware of the symptoms .

anyone else experiencing same prob , Suunto say the module has gone and to replace would cost £140.00 squids plus carriage to fro hurdy gurdy land .

This was my 5th suunto in a long line of replacements !!!!!!

At the price they charge for their watches I expect a lifetimes us not a few years .

Any others experiences would be good to hear.

Do'm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Do'm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 11 at 5:05pm
Well you haven't had any replies and this thread goes back ages. And perhaps that is for a number of reasons one being that people may just have given up on Suunto watches. I can't remember how mant years ago it was now, probably four or five, but I bought one. Had it replaced about a month or so later and on the second failure I took it back saying it was not fit for purpose. Unhappily they refunded me my money.

I bought an expensive Casio which also had all the weather info and that ws great until the strap broke and the light button fell out. It was not worth putting it in for service as the cost would have been nearly as much as a new one.

So I now have an expensive Tissot Touch which whilst it looks good, is heavy and no good for racing. So my old faithful is a dirt cheap Casio which tells the time as well as does count downs.

I'd like to know peoples' views on the Gill or other good watches for race timing, tide and baromtric pressure along with compass. It still seems that the cheaper watches deliver whilst things like the Rolex cost a lot, make a personal statement about you and are pretty useless for sailing unless of course you have a Swann 60 and then you have someone whom you pay a lot of money to sail your boat for you and who does the count down on a casio or Tack Tick!
Dom
AL8069, Magical K1 03, Kairos
catmandoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote catmandoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 11 at 6:42pm
Didn't get a reply from suunto either !!!!!

I have a large collection of watches from freebies to a rolex , the suunto was by far the worst, I replaced it with last years Gill for cat racing which proved far superior to the suunto in many respects other than it works !, only feature of use missing was synchronising countdown once started (this is a feature on gills new model unfortunately I didnt new model was just about to be released), compass is much quicker and accurate though for dinghy racing a gimmic. had many casios too over the years , cant fault them all good too , but I need the bigger digits the suunto and Gill have , would definately recommend gill .don't touch suunto with bargepole .
Do'm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Do'm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 11 at 7:45pm
Can't agree more, Suunto are not worth the investmnet.
What I need now is a watch that is an accuarate time keeper, does me for race manangement so that it has GMT/BST running along with race time. The Casio does all that, I just need bigger pictures nowadays.

Seems like there is a market out there for a steel braclet watch with these features.Any suggestions?
Dom
AL8069, Magical K1 03, Kairos
The Moo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote The Moo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 11 at 1:59pm
I have been given on of these Christmas. Not used it in anger yet but it seems to do everything that my old yellow Optimum watch did but with a slightly smaller readout, metal case and half decent strap.
The Moo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote The Moo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 11 at 5:21pm
That was the case with my last yellow one which to be fair ran for approx 9 years before it seized up. The missus has been running a coventional size Optimum for over 18 months no problems, so happy then to give a metal one a go.

Only time will tell (or not perhaps )
 Post Reply Post Reply