FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

light wind sailing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
tim grasse View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote tim grasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: light wind sailing
    Posted: 24 Jul 10 at 12:23pm
Hi I sail a contender and I seem to be loosing lots of places when there is light wind ( pre trapeze conditions) so can anyone help me. p.s. can someone also guive me some tips for going up wind in about 10 - 20 knts

Edited by tim grasse
winging it View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote winging it Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 10 at 8:08pm
In very light winds you need to sit very well forward, probably on the floor up against the front bulkhead.  You need to let the traveller off so you can ease the boom out over the quarter, and not sheet hard at all.  kicker off, cinningham off, outhaul slightly on.
the same, but different...

A Seabadger View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote A Seabadger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 10 at 5:12pm
In very light winds you follow the wind not necessarily the shifts.
I don't suffer from insanity...I enjoy every moment of it.
winging it View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote winging it Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 10 at 7:50pm
Yeah....I saw your pics in the nssa website - sitting/standing where you were would be really slow - move much further forwards.

ps I am not a stalker, I was looking st pictures of the csysa team and saw you there!
the same, but different...

Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 10 at 9:07am
Concentrate really, really hard, too...it is very easy to miss the tiny variations in the wind when getting bored, and a missed lift will cost you loads of ground, whereas you can be sure you can't miss the headers!
So up wind, your gaze needs to be fixed on the telltales like a hawk. If the boat is heeled to leeward, it not only allows for less wetted surface, but makes sailing up on the lifts really easy, with not too much rudder movement, which is slow. Downside is that you'll need to bring the boat flat to bear off in the headers, or the rudder is fighting the hull shape, and that is slow, too.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
patj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote patj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 10 at 7:39pm
Sit STILL - every movement stops the boat. And none of this constant rocking that's prevalent on the Thames - Rule 42.
Judge by tell tales and don't rely on the burgee as the wind at the top of the mast and at the boom level will be doing two different things and the wind won't be doing the same thing in two places - in those conditions we've often seen the flags on the marks all pointing in different directions on Shearwater (small lake) and boats running towards each other under symmetric spinnakers!

Edited by patj - 13 Oct 10 at 7:44pm
Sailaboat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sailaboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 10 at 2:07pm
For me, leach tension is critical.  When the wind eases, ease the mainsheet a little.  This frees off the upper part of the leach and seems to help pointing. As you start to hike, pull the main tight again to tighten the leach.
www.Sailaboat.tv for high quality training videos on sailing
mattmd View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote mattmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 10 at 3:58pm
Do you tack in front of of behind the mainsheet in very very light winds? 
I tryed both last weekend with mixed results ;

In front of seem to stop me getting stuck in irons and seemed fast but got tiller stuck and had to move back to to slip it round

And Behind slowed the boat but could pump the boat faster and didnt have problems flicking the tiller round and was pritty quick at getting to the front of the boat again
Matt MD
Contender GBR-620

Sailaboat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sailaboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 10 at 4:06pm
I should have said that I sail a Solo, which is different, but sail setting techniques are the same across the classes I have found.  I always tack behind the mainsheet.  I think being too far forward slows the boat down as the trim is radically altered which affect the waterline length and maneouverability.  I try to use the tiller as little as possible, when very light roll the boat a bit to steer, mindful of rule 42 though!  Rudder is a better brake than steering aid!
www.Sailaboat.tv for high quality training videos on sailing
mattmd View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote mattmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 10 at 9:18pm
I see your point used to sail laser, however with a contender being 16 ft long you really do slow down considerably when you move back in the boat, I just think the boats are too different to compare. 
Matt MD
Contender GBR-620

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>