FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Laser on the roof-rack

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
redback View Drop Down
Really should get out more
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote redback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Laser on the roof-rack
    Posted: 08 May 05 at 12:04am

I've car topped a Laser 100s of times and its no problem except you need to extend the rack out to one side to take the spars.  The trolley goes on top of the boat and make sure you tie the bow to the front of the car so that the boat stays with the car when you go over a humped back bridge or other sudden change from horizontal.  Plastic trolleys are best being the lightest.

If you don't have roof rails buy a Paddy Hopkirk rack from Halfords.  They are cheap strong and when you change car you can go back to Halfords and buy new end fittings to fit your new car.

Stu F View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Stu F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 05 at 2:38pm

Hi - can anyone give me advice regarding transporting a Laser on the car roof?

In particular I'm thinking about getting a Thule Hydroglide 873 carrier and wondered if anyone had experience of this product. It seems primarily designed for Kayaks but the docs say "suitable for small boats" and it looks as though it would do the job.  I'd welcome any recommended alternatives.

Weight is not a problem the 60Kg Laser is comfortably below the 75Kg limit for my set up.  I have 3 Series Touring with roof rails (but don't hold this against me :o)

Thanks in advance for any advice/suggestions...

Stuart

Post Reply Post Reply