FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

29er bad move???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
headfry View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote headfry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 29er bad move???
    Posted: 04 May 05 at 9:39am
Mazzas, Hi,

Saddly I cant not help with the technical side of your choices, all I can say is.....

Go with your gut feeling, if you like the idea of the 29er, go for it...... so the worst thing that can happen is-   i'ts not what you thought and you end up selling her,,  but at least you tried it!   You should love the boat you sail, perhaps more so if you are sailing single handed as it's just you and your boat, and lots of time will be spent together through good and bad. Much better if you like your boat!! 

Guest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Guest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 05 at 3:37pm

Give Ron a call;

http://www.mustoskiff.com/dealer-details/usa-and-canada.htm

He has used boats as well as new.

NickA View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote NickA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 05 at 1:08pm

Let us all know how you get on with that 29er - especially single handed.

Here in the UK the 29er is the youth development skiff - training teenagers up to cope with the much faster and more difficult (and more exciting, I guess) 49er.  You don't find many adults sailing them and if you're over 21 there's not many people to race against.  But for blasting fun, they're a scream.  Very wobbly at sub-planing speeds and extremely wobbly down wind without the kite up - but once you get past the kite and planing barrier it should get better.  Old style dingies just disappear behind you.

Still less than sure I could single hand one though.  Still on the (slower, duller) Laser 3k and Buzz track.

Single handing a B14 ??? did someone really suggest that?  Lovely boat though (if you're not a trapeze buff) and cheap 2nd hand too.

Good luck & hope the water's warm in the mid west !!!!!!! 

on cloud 9er View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote on cloud 9er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 05 at 1:12pm

I sail a 29er singlehanded, which can be very exciting at the best of times. I weigh 11 stone (70KG) and apart from tearing my hands to pieces trying to control kite and main simultaneously it is fabulous fun. Though I'm not always competitive in the local club racing-- who cares when you can have that much fun!-- I can sail it reasonbaly up to the borderline of about force 4 but beyond that you just have to spend too much time luffing the main to get anywhere. I've only sailed it on lakes so far where the wind is particularly gusty and I reckon in more stable winds I could sail up to a higher wind strength.

What I will say, you'll have a fabulous time provided you can move around a boat quickly  and it never stops me from grinning, and if you want to get seriously competitve, get a crew!

PS get double tiller extensions fitted (1.7m long) when single handing it otherwise you can't reach the tiller from the wire!)

Post Options Post Options   Quote on cloud 9er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 05 at 1:14pm

PS

Forgot to add, I'm thiry five  so the twenty niner is not just for the Youth market

Looknig forward to seeing the 29erX in action though.

NickA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote NickA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 05 at 2:14pm

Encouraging news there - especially as 2nd hand 29ers cost less than laser's new Vago and look so much more cool.

Single handing a Laser 3k, I've found the main doesn't do much with the kite powered up, so can pretty much be cleated around a close reach position and forgot about.  Oops, no cleat on a 29er - but someone was suggesting a boom mounted cleat?  Goer or not?

Also, how do you tack / gybe with a double extension?  Drop it, run, hope and pick up again? Or what? I'm used to taking mine with me.

Presumably the 29erX won't be single handable!!!! Unless you're Mr J Bethwaite that is.

carshalton fc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote carshalton fc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 05 at 2:40pm

i dont think a cleat on the boom would work on a 29er! 

yer the 29er x definatly wouldnt be a single hander unless u were quite big and are very good at multi tasking!!  lol

International 14 1503
Blobby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Blobby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 05 at 4:23am
Originally posted by carshalton fc

i dont think a cleat on the boom would work on a 29er! 

Why not?  All you need to do is make a small bracket to fit the cleats to...

Alternatively you have to get very good at tying a quick slip knot in the mainsheet to stop it going out too far once you have hoisted the kite.

It is also class legal to put a standard ratchet block & swivel with a cleat on the floor of the boat (attached to the central grab rail) if you prefer sheeting from the floor rather than direct from the boom.

Phil eltringham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Phil eltringham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 05 at 7:58am
Yeah, putting a swivel and cleat on the floor is completely class legal.  You would have to get another stand like that used for the jib cleat and put it in the middle of the central kick bar.  To be honest though I do not think that a single boat in the UK has had that done (not to say you cant), and provided you have twin tillers and its no more than about F3, going downwind just have the main in your tiller hand, its far easier to ease than if its cleated. 
FLAT IS FAST!
Shifts Happen

Post Options Post Options   Quote on cloud 9er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 05 at 8:18am

I've tried to think of different ways to cleat the main, and the only one I can come up with is a free rotating ratchet block with an adjustable angled cleat plate on it. The trouble is that when you cleat it off it would probably tie itself into aknot on the boom as the block is not fixed down. there's no other way that I can think of as you need the block on the boom to be flexible in order to get the correct purchase angles.

With regards to twin tillers, they are essential and yes you do momentarily let go of the tiller through the tack or jibe- but only for an instant. The other advantage is that when setting the kite, provided that the hull is flat on the water, you can let go of the tillers as there is enough resistance between the two of them across the stern that they hold the ruder straight whilst you hoist the kite- gets a bit iffier as the wind increases as it is really important to keep the hull flat on the water.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>