FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

29er bad move???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Hector View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Hector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 29er bad move???
    Posted: 24 May 05 at 1:45pm

Mazza - as you said that you would be - "Mostly (exclusively, initially) sailing with crew"  I think you've probably made a good choice although I think you should probably have had  a look at your local clubs to see what they sail. blasting around alone is good fun  but it wears off. Sailing in a close race within a fleet can give just as good a buzz - albeit different. RE Blasting - Just a thought - Is yours a a windy location? Or is the mean wind speed below Force 2?

Reason I ask is that 29ers (and most skiffs except49er) don't really come into there own until a F3. They're ok but you'll find 'conventional' dinghies that are much more rewarding to sail in sub planing breezes.

As far as sailing single handed goes - get a singlehander. They are designed for it, go better in a wider range of winds are easier onshore and you can race competitively.

I can't understand  why so many on this forum seem to want to recommend doublehanded handed boats for singlehanded sailing. I'd say that in every case there is a better singlehander available. Can anyone look at the list below and tell me what doublehander is better for sailing singlehanded than something of the list?  (I know the list is incomplete so please don't berate me if your fave isn't there).

Optimist - Topper - Europe - Laser (various) - Phantom - Blaze - Int Moth - Contender - Vortex - Dart 15 - Shadow - RS700 - Musto Skiff - Int Canoe

Listening to your 'wants' and assuming you have decent breezes, from the list above, I'd go for a Musto Skiff as the best fit singlehander.

EDIT:- should have said I'm not familiar with the (presumably American) 'Vector' so that could be another good choice for singlehander -  but how would I know

Edited by Hector
Blobby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Blobby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 05 at 4:04am
Originally posted by on cloud 9er

I've tried to think of different ways to cleat the main, and the only one I can come up with is a free rotating ratchet block with an adjustable angled cleat plate on it. The trouble is that when you cleat it off it would probably tie itself into aknot on the boom as the block is not fixed down. there's no other way that I can think of as you need the block on the boom to be flexible in order to get the correct purchase angles.

With regards to twin tillers, they are essential and yes you do momentarily let go of the tiller through the tack or jibe- but only for an instant. The other advantage is that when setting the kite, provided that the hull is flat on the water, you can let go of the tillers as there is enough resistance between the two of them across the stern that they hold the ruder straight whilst you hoist the kite- gets a bit iffier as the wind increases as it is really important to keep the hull flat on the water.

Cleating - make up a platform on the boom and attach two cleats to it - one each side of the boom.  It is impossible to do it with a single swivel cleat.

Tillers - it is also a good idea to tie some shockcord to the tiller and the two grab rails either side of the boat.  This really helps stabilise the tiller and helps minimise steering wobbles when you move in and out of boat onto the wire.

In a breeze you can tuck the tiller extension behind you knee and steer by leaning from side to side.

on cloud 9er View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote on cloud 9er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 05 at 12:40pm

I do agree with you to a certain extent- why buy a double hander when you want to single hand? I bought my 29er initially because I thought it would be a boat that I could sail single handed and then as my girlfriend got up to speed she could then join in ! Unfortunately she went and bought herself a europe instead! Also another reason for my choice of boat was cost, I would love to have a musto skiff but my 29er cost about £2,500 and you'd barely get the sails of a skiff for that!

what it has allowed me to do is get crew at my local club for serious racing whilst still allow me to push my own boundaries as a single handed sailor. I reckon that having spent a year on my 9er it will be quite a simple transfer to a musto skiff or RS700 in the future. In fact I was hoping to go and test sail a musto in the next month or so, but I don't think they are that suitable for the lake I mostly sail on.

Hector View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Hector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 05 at 1:28pm

on cloud 9er

You have a perfectly reasonable set of reasons to (occasionally) sail your 29er singlehanded.

But if you couldn't get a crew whenever you want to 'sail seriously' you'd still learn more in a proper singlehander. For your budget you could get an RS600 - and that would certainly teach you a thing or two and make any transition into MPS / RS700 very easy.

I'm not trying to persuade you to do this, just making the point that there's probably always a better singlehanded option available.

Edited by Hector
Chunky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Chunky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 05 at 10:55am

The 600 is truly a fantastic boat and definately more practical for inland/round the cans racing than the MPS or 700 as you don't have the kite to play around with. Also with round the cans sailing you very rarely have a decent leg where you can really get the kite and boat sorted and up to max speeds.

I must say that I never thought that I would find a boat that I liked more than the 600 but the 700 has surpassed my expectations.

My advice would be to try as many boats as you can before you buy.

RS700 923 (Propper Singlehanded Skiff)
I clocked 21knots last night :o)
Wave Rider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Wave Rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 05 at 8:52pm
Yeah my next boat is to be a 600 or a 29er depending on whether my mate decides he wants to sail a 29er aswell.
           -[Franko]-
Chew Valley Lake Sailing Club
           RS600 933
jpbuzz591 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jpbuzz591 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 05 at 8:52pm
wave rider if u ever need a crew for that 29er, u know who to call
Jp Indoe
Contender 518
Buzz591
Chew Valley Sailing club
Bristol
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123