FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Singlehanded choice for me?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
fantasia View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote fantasia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Singlehanded choice for me?
    Posted: 14 May 10 at 3:00pm

I currently race a Wayfarer at Hayling Island SC and am considering converting to a singlehander due to lack of crew. I am 56, 1.92m tall and weigh 100kg.

Budget £4-5k

The choices seem to be Solo, Phantom, Finn or RS100

Great fleet of Solos at HISC, but am I too large?

No Phantoms anywhere locally, but I used to have a wooden one and loved it.

Great fleet of Finns at Mengeham, just up the road (expensive?).

RS100 developing class at HISC, I did try the proto and liked it and have followed Nick P around the harbour and have been impressed.(expensive too)

I'm too old to start with a 700 or those skiffy things.

I can't make my mind-up. Any suggestions gratefully received.

craiggo View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote craiggo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 10 at 3:13pm
There are a few OKs at Emsworth I believe which may suit you as well
Late starter View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Late starter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 10 at 3:28pm
Can't comment on the Finn and 100 as I've never sailed them. I'm around 100kg too and have raced Solo's and Phantoms. Personally I think 100kg is a little too heavy for a Solo, and yes I raced one with the "right" rig for my weight. Very comfortable boat to sail though as a fellow 50 something. I'm way way more competitive in a Phantom, though the modern plastic boats are quite shallow - didn't do a lot for the knees!

£4k to £5k will buy a competitive Solo or Phantom which will hold its value well so little to lose by trying either.
gordon1277 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gordon1277 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 10 at 3:50pm
As a fellow 100kg plus and only down the road in Lee on Solent if you want to try the phantom i would be willing to let you have a try.
Just leave a message on here.
Gordon
Gordon
Lossc
Adam MR 1137 View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Adam MR 1137 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 10 at 3:50pm
Try an OK they are excellent boats and as somebody who was 100kg when I started sailing the boat it certainly carries that weight range nicely. I never enjoyed my sailing more. As I am getting used to the boat my results are getting better now aswell.
Merlin rocket 1137
OK 2049
Can be seen at WYC
rodney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote rodney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 10 at 4:18pm

Pop down to Mengeham Rythe SC just around the corner!  They have about 25 Finns regularly racing (I guess that you've seen them?).  Ask any Finn sailors about the Finn - they are always happy to help!  You won't get Ben Ainslie's boat within your budget but you can get a good club racing boat which will hold its value well.

It's a perfect class, with a great following, for a big boy like you.

Rodney

OH!  I shouild have said that MRSC is a great club with very cheap beer

Edited by rodney
Rodney Cobb
Suntouched Sailboats Limited
http://www.suntouched.co.uk
[EMAIL=rodney@suntouched.co.uk">rodney@suntouched.co.uk
fantasia View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote fantasia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 10 at 9:13pm

Thank you Gordon for an offer to sail your Phantom, I would like to; but I'll put that on hold for the moment.

I would prefer fleet sailing and perhaps a Finn is the answer and I am up for a new challenge to improve and invigorate my sailing. They do look a bit techie though. I'll try to call into MRSC over the weekend to ask if anyone knows of a good starter boat, perhaps after tomorrow's Glyn Charles race.

Thank you all for your replies.

the answer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote the answer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 10 at 9:24pm

Come over to Mengeham...we don't bite and there is someone to race all the way down the fleet....bring Fantasia with you and who knows, you might get a crew on occasions.

your budget is perfect for a 'first finn'

Edited by the answer
Finn GBR42..The Answer (to life the universe and everything)
MRSC
fantasia View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote fantasia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 10 at 9:31pm
Thank you Adrian and I shall come and visit; but unfortunately my budget does not stretch to owning Fantasia and a Finn (and a vintage fourteen) so sadly Fantasia might be sold.
blaze720 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote blaze720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 10 at 9:58pm
Can't resist the temptation to plug HALO - one specially for the bigger guys and if it blows you really will need to be that little bit biggger..Might even be the odd one at the Glyn Charles tomorrow  ;-)   If you are there come and find us.  Rigs are currently available for £ 1175 (new mast and North or Hyde sail) and you can still (occasionaly) find good value Blaze hulls - result is something special to say the least.

But we are biased as is everyone else so simply try all of the ones that you might like - and make up your own mind. Would not buy a car without trying everything so why not boats as well ?

Mike L.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>