FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1 or 2 person boat for kids

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
SX-ed up View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote SX-ed up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1 or 2 person boat for kids
    Posted: 10 May 10 at 1:47pm

I'm thinking of getting a boat for my oldest daughter, a small 13 year old, but not sure what to get. She's done some children’s’ sailing weeks in a Pico so feels happy with one of those but I'd be interested in any alternatives. I don’t know how she’ll take to it so I’m not buying new and since I don't want to spend all year fixing or painting it needs to be GRP or Rotomoulded.

My first thought was a Topper but she wants something she can take a friend out on, so that's out. My current favourite is a Topaz Uno with the plus pack (a jib) which she could sail 1 or 2 up, if she takes to it there's always the Race or Race X rig to add later. Apart from that there’s a GRP Mirror but that is 2 person only        

Edited by SX-ed up
JimC View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 10 at 2:05pm
A good question is always what the other youngsters at your club sail...
At our club they take friends out in their Toppers often enough...
To my mind the Feva is by far the nicest of the teens rotomould boats.
alstorer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote alstorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 10 at 3:02pm

Feva is a fairly good choice- if I recall correctly it can be rigged as an Una-rig, without shrouds, and there's a sail that can roller-reef like a topper/pico/topaz.

Of the teen-rotomolds, the Topaz is, by contrast to the Feva, by far the worst. i'm not quite sure exactly what it is about it, but having sailed all three (admittedly I'm far larger than they're designed to take) the Topaz is the most uncomfortable and the most frustrating to sail.

Alternative to the Feva, there's the RS Q'Ba which whilst it has a silly name, does have a jib option too- in fact, the Pico and Topper have jib-pack options, though they're not much good (in the case of the Pico, I swear it reduces the performance of the boat).

-_
Al
radixon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote radixon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 10 at 3:36pm
It also depends on how it is going to be stored.

I personally prefer the Laser Pico over the RS and the Topper version due to the durability of the plastic and the Saleability of the boats once you have had enough of it.

The RS Feva is a great boat and can be sailed with just a main sail alone but I wasnt aware of a sail that can be rolled similar to a pico. The mast is supported by shrouds for the kite, the jib is only rope fed so doesnt support the mast like other boats.

Depending on budget I'd go for the Pico, loads around. If sailing with others, then there is the Feva. After the Pico, they may want to move onto the Laser Radial.
alstorer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote alstorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 10 at 4:36pm
the roller furled main is the "RS Feva S Reefable Mainsail" they sell. Still hoists using the halyard.
-_
Al
A Seabadger View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote A Seabadger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 10 at 6:27pm
Feva has a socail scene for teenagers.
I don't suffer from insanity...I enjoy every moment of it.
zailor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote zailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 10 at 9:34pm

If you have a sailing area that hard to launch/recover from get a Pico, more or less bullet proof.

Feva is a good boat that performs better and is more versatile

MerlinMags View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote MerlinMags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 10 at 8:54am
I vote for the Cadet every time, but I guess the best advice is to go with what is popular at your club.
SX-ed up View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote SX-ed up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 10 at 11:29am

Thanks for all this advice, it looks like the Topaz gets the thumbs down and I'll be stretching the budget for a Feva.

Cheers

Steve

Jack Sparrow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jack Sparrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 10 at 2:40pm
what sort of weight?

My 13 year old sails our Splash and he is very light. Under 40kg. If she is 45kg upwards it would be worth thinking about.

For a crewed boat... it's a Mirror every time for me.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>