FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

a leaking 505

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
jamesint505 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote jamesint505 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: a leaking 505
    Posted: 22 Apr 05 at 10:51pm

Ha Ha leaking 505 .I know your predicament mine came with a big crack in the gunwhale  repaired that with glas tape and epoxy.Recently was out and mine just filled up with water.looked at the bailers and the gasket had worn out and was stopping the little flaps openin and draining the water out.Also found the centreboard bolt was leaking filled with sealant.Thought that was it till the other week tipped it up righted it and over it went again mast stuck in the mud (thats another story)any way I'd had enough by then so thought it must be the hatches that were leaking ,so I sealed them with bathroom sealant wehey it should float now!!!but no after a sail water came pouring out of the bungs.Armed with some hose pipe blue tack and a bucket of soapy water blew a few lungfulls of air into the tanks .Lo and behold air was leaking from the little platforms (cant remember what you call them) that the cleats were on (the screws had come loose) they were put back on nice and tight with a big dollop of sealant.Air was also coming from two little cracks ,one on each side just behind the bulk heads .maybe du to rig tension ???? they were filled will glass tape and epoxy and there was also a crack around the front port thwart where it enters the tank hich was epoxied and taped so like I said I know the feeling!!!

505 7567
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote jamesint505 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 05 at 11:53pm

How did you get on creaky let us know mine seems to be ok now capsized on sunday and was only a cupfull in which I suspect had cone in through my dodgy bungs!!

505 7567
Creaky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Creaky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 05 at 4:34pm

hi everyone,

its the famous 505 guy here.

i would just like to thank you for all your sujjestions and advice. it really has helped. at the moment i have just gone round all the fitting making sure they are all ok.

does anyone know if getting rid of the current inspection hatches and putting new ones in is against the 505 1 design rules?

i hope race my 505 in the nations as a classic so may meet some of you.......

aNY ADVICE ON MOVING HATCHES?

thanks again

nikc creak

Nick
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote jamesint505 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 05 at 4:46pm
You can put hatches anywhere you want on a 505 .You can rig them how you like basically.
505 7567
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote jamesint505 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 05 at 4:51pm
What sort of sails are you gonna use at the nationals???Thinking about getting some P&B kevlar one but it'll cost me a grand and my boat only just cost that much!!
505 7567
lozza View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote lozza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 05 at 5:10pm
Just make sure that you've got the big kite on it.  Regarding sails, when i did 2 nationals in 7546, the majority of the top boats had the kevlar main and dacron jib combo.  Some of the boats may have some old(ish) sails they'll sell you for not alot. 
Life's a reach, then you gybe
Creaky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Creaky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 05 at 5:37pm

yeah,

im using my old sails at the mo,

kevlar are sail to be the best but mine do me fine, corse i have the big kite, what else! my boat flys when shes not sinking.

i need a new jib, or new 2nd hand ish. something like that. thanks for the advice about the hatches, i think there my main problem at the mo so im going to see what i can do about it. mayb just glass over the old 1's or smfin of that sort. but ive done so many repairs, when will they end

anything else any1 wants to know about or any sujjestion let me know, anythings good,  o and 505 guy, when was your boat built? mine 1988!

nick

Nick
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote jamesint505 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 05 at 8:38pm

Mines 7567 1983 I think bit retro but I got a new cumulus mast and a monster kite ''yeah baby'' its even got a measurement stamp from the 2004 worlds hows that for kudos!!!Any way won the handicap fleet on sunday singlehanded!!Didnt use the kite though !!Sack sailing a buzz single handed sail a 50h.Anyway its a blue rondar with launcher would love to do the nat's but prob won't be able to get a crew ,might just drag the boat down there anyway!!

505 7567
Creaky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Creaky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 05 at 3:56pm

well it would be nice to meet you and laugh at your 505 when it gets showed by my young 1988 parker fitted with old school super spare, ballon kite i think and crappy old jib. mines black red and white with two great holes in the frount from a barstard comming outa warsash a few years back, got to fix them. you know anything about the requirements for the nations? becuase ive basically re-rigged my 505 completely, sort of, lots of new bits and re-nmoulded old 1's.

you can just about use the buzz spinnaker on the 505, i am going to try and attach a pole to the frount of mine but the heights about right and just sits very far back without a pole, have had lots of fun ragging with that. but nothing compares to the almighty monster kite ey.

wrt back

nick

THE BEST 505 HELM the world has ever seen!! even with a sinking boat

Nick
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote jamesint505 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 05 at 7:18pm

You'll need a measurement cert a compas and some kind of paddle.I've actually got a certificate for mine but I dont know if it'll still be valid ,I assume theyare valid for the life of the boat but not sure.Anyone know for certain??Other than that think youll just need to register not sure if there's any kind of qualifying restrictions but 5oh association should be able to tell you that .Also a bit of practice wouldn't go amiss!!!I know the association run training at some of the open meetings a training only days etc but I havent managed to get too any yet with the crew situation .Mind you not doing too bad since I only got back into boats last year after a decade sabbatical.Should hav done it sooner!

505 7567
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>