FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Video of the week

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 366>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Video of the week
    Posted: 16 May 19 at 10:08am
FX, then 49ers then Nacra... plenty of Brit interest

First day of broadcast after some epic conditions the last three days, so could be last chance to see them in the breeze!

Oli View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Oli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 19 at 3:19pm
Youfull walk through video going live at 6pm tonight on YouTube https://youtu.be/xtOmDJVcTjI
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 19 at 10:41pm
Replays up on YouTube now... does this deserve it's own thread yet?

Oli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Oli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 19 at 9:02pm
Thanks for the tip Maxibuddah, will take a look.
maxibuddah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote maxibuddah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 19 at 4:03pm
Have you looked lightworks oli? That might allow you to adjust the frame rate on the fly and it's free and works on pc, Mac and Linux
Everything I say is my opinion, honest
Oli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Oli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 19 at 2:20pm
thats exactly it, so now with the abilty to shoot in 60fps i do, of course the functionality of dropping playback speed is limited mostly to the sailors being filmed.

my big issue with editing these days is time, i mostly do mine during a lunch breaks at work, my home computer doesn't even get a look these days (i need to address that, also requires a new solid state hdd upgrade) and if i was able to get time behind the keyboard i would do as you and chop the frame rate around to minimise processing required, imovie doesn't offer that function yet.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 19 at 1:19pm
It's quite an interesting juggling act. I watched a few editing tutorials on youtube and there's some interesting comparisons. 

60fps does look cool for sports and will give you a sharper image played back at real speed as there is less motion blur.  But, most people won't be able to tell the difference at real speed to 30fps. So that's a lot of extra data going in to the files, which, depending on who's watching ,will mostly be imperceptible. 

I shoot in 60fps and export in 30fps. This means I can have perfectly smooth half speed like you said above, and that 60 frames in to 30 divides nicely for the majority of the footage and helps processing time. 

Of course, the pro's would always shoot in the intended frame rate. So they'd pick 30fps for export, then film in 30 fps. But any segments they wanted in slow motion they would film in 60 or 120. The reason for that is the motion blur / shutter speed is always correct for the frame rate. Plus, when you increase frame rate it usually decreases the biterate of the frame, so even if it's still the same definition you'll get more noise shooting in an unnecessarily high framerate. That noise then makes it hard doing colour.  

The difficulty sailing is you tend not to know when you want slow-mo and when you want real time until after, so it's not possible to preset in this way. 

Oli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Oli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 19 at 12:27pm
I do to re the filter, ive used that one before but i do like ot experiment and always happy to take peoples opinions with things, helps make the next one better after all.

imovie offers:

360p
540p
720p @60fps
1080p @60fps

based on the current camera settings on the phone, which is set to 4K.

you're right with the jump in resolutions on YT, im being offered a 720 60fps version too.

think i'll continue with the high res high fps as it does allow for smooth slow down for play back for coaching purposes, but will dual upload with a low res version to make mobile / low speed playback achievable. 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 19 at 10:57am
I prefer that filter. 

Will I-Movie not allow you to export 30fps @1080p?

To be honest, the problem is mainly with YouTubes default quality setting when it processes uploads for higher frame rates. Meaning viewers can only watch in HD at that higher frame rate. Most peoples broadband copes with streaming 1080p at 30fps, but upping that to 60fps means people need double the broadband speed. So the viewers are left with this huge quality jump of either watching in 480p/30fps or 1080p 60fps!
Daniel Holman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Daniel Holman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 19 at 2:33pm
CST 14 was standard on these boats, and was stiff for its time so is fine for modern square tops, plus you can add material if you like.
More recent masts do a similar thing lust with lower weight ad diameter, much like is the case in N12 / Moth / Merlin / Phant etc.
Not much new in masts for last 10y tho.

Well done the lads! And nice vids too, like longer shots maybe it shows my age. :-)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 366>