FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Travel Insurance - Who do you use?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Medway Maniac View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Medway Maniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Travel Insurance - Who do you use?
    Posted: 01 Sep 10 at 9:45pm
Originally posted by Scooby_simon

You going to cover the mega costs of Medi-vac?  Ski choppers are 100 quid a minute min 20 mins evac to base station; evac to hospital via private ambulance; Special flight home?  Good way to kill savings!

Try re-reading the clause in brackets at the end of my second paragraph that you quoted.

Scooby_simon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Scooby_simon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 10 at 1:59am
Originally posted by Medway Maniac

You going to cover the mega costs of Medi-vac?  Ski choppers are 100 quid a minute min 20 mins evac to base station; evac to hospital via private ambulance; Special flight home?  Good way to kill savings!

Try re-reading the clause in brackets at the end of my second paragraph that you quoted.

I did; Check any medical you take out; most WILL NOT cover evac from point of sports accident or special plane home as a result of sports accident.

I have heard horror stories of badly hurt skiers dragging them selves back on-piste or getting help and doing damage as a result.

Wanna learn to Ski - PM me..
Medway Maniac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Medway Maniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 10 at 8:43am

Originally posted by Medway Maniac

I did; Check any medical you take out; most WILL NOT cover evac from point of sports accident or special plane home as a result of sports accident.

I have heard horror stories of badly hurt skiers dragging them selves back on-piste or getting help and doing damage as a result.

Exactly. That would be a "risk that I can't reasonably cover myself ".

But it shows that whatever insurance you take out, you need to be very sure it will cover your particular situation. So often people claim only to find the insurance company wriggles out of it.

My favourite story was a colleague who was very insurance-minded. He wanted house insurance; the agent offered him three policies; much to the agent's surprise and delight he took all three. A year later he damaged the sink during a bit of DIY; much frustrating hassle later, no payout from any of the policies... At least if you "insure yourself" you avoid the hassle of claiming and all that entails.

Just to balance the picture, I made a claim on my boat policy with Noble last year and it was all settled without any hassle whatsoever.

blueboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote blueboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 10 at 2:21pm

I wouldn't ski without travel insurance and for that I use Snowcard. But for general holidaying in the EU, I would not bother.
Skiffybob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Skiffybob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 10 at 1:03pm
I anyone else is interested, I've just renewed with Columbusdirect.

They have an "Adventurer" package, which covers most sports including dinghy sailing & racing, and yachting.
12ft Skiff - Gordon Keeble and the Furry Fly-by
AC - GBR271 - Whoosh
B49 - Island Alchemy
johnnyt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote johnnyt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 10 at 4:56pm
Towergate Mardon have just released a new travel policy specifically aimed at sailing people. It includes cover for competitive sailing and professional racing with no offshore limits. I know when I have tried to arrange travel insurance if I am going abroad for a championships normally the cover will exclude any form of competition so the product has been designed to address this.

If you are diving there are extended depth limits,
It has been designed to work in conjunction with other Towetrgate Mardon marine products.
The details of the product can be found at www.towergatemardon.co.uk or if you need to talk to someone our RYA qualified staff can talk to you.
I hope that this helps

John Tuckwell
Development Executive
GJW Insurance
www.gjwdirect.co.uk
Insurance rebel without a clause.

StaticHF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StaticHF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 11 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by johnnyt

The details of the product can be found at www.towergatemardon.co.uk or if you need to talk to someone our RYA qualified staff can talk to you.
I hope that this helps

Thanks, johnnyt, make use of the main web-page. However, haven't received any request yet. Has anyone else contacted spy phone TowerGatemardon?

Edited by StaticHF - 22 Nov 11 at 6:45am
patj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote patj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 11 at 8:14pm
We've used Europ Assistance for combined european breakdown and personal travel insurance and they were brilliant when someone put petrol in the diesel tank on the last day of the French holiday!
We certainly had our money's worth with recovery to garage and overnight hotel - luxury after a camping holiday Smile

Edited by patj - 03 Oct 11 at 8:14pm
travelrohan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote travelrohan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 12 at 5:27am

They do a policy for yachties, are about £150 for a family, worldwide.

Yachting cover on most policies have some nasty cluases, but this policy is designed for yachtsmen, so there are no restrictions on distance offshore etc.

Andymac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Andymac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 12 at 11:17am
Originally posted by travelrohan

They do a policy for yachties, are about £150 for a family, worldwide.

Yachting cover on most policies have some nasty cluases, but this policy is designed for yachtsmen, so there are no restrictions on distance offshore etc.

That's a pretty good premium if you're planning a cruise along the coast of Somalia...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12