FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1/4 tonners + the cup

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
detente View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote detente Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1/4 tonners + the cup
    Posted: 08 Sep 09 at 12:47pm

Dont get me wrong I have nothing against optimisation of any boat (quaters included) to what the owner interprets as IRC friendly mods. My gripe is that in order to take any quater tonner to a competitve level, (as generally they have either been neglected for years in a shed or turned into a cruiser), it costs a huge amount of cash in order to do so.

But at the end of the day if you can justify spending lots of money on a little old race boat fine...I suppose this is indicative of Keel boat racing in general, Its an expensive sport!

laser193713 View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote laser193713 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 09 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by detente

My gripe is that in order to take any quater tonner to a competitve level, (as generally they have either been neglected for years in a shed or turned into a cruiser), it costs a huge amount of cash in order to do so.

No not really, we didnt spend a lot, we have done more than we needed to, and 9th in that fleet is good i would say, there are a lot of  top crews and our crew for the event had never sailed together before!

Edited by laser193713
detente View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote detente Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 09 at 1:02pm

Does any crew who have put a campaign together wish to publish the costs they have spent and then each to their own can judge the costs as to whether it is expensive or not!

detente View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote detente Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 09 at 12:19pm
tgruitt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote tgruitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 09 at 2:09pm

I'm hoping they have replaced the lawnmower engine in that thing by now!

Needs to sail more...
detente View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote detente Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 09 at 12:34pm
you should be so lucky! That mowing my garden by now!

Post Options Post Options   Quote laser193713 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 09 at 10:13pm

That little electric engine was funny, not really made for a boat that size i'm afraid!

Juggs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Juggs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 09 at 6:56pm
One of the things that has been lost to everyone posting so far is that under the old IOR rule, every boat competing in a level rating class was measured, optimised and prepared to conform to a single figure rating such as 18.5ft for the quarter ton class.
Now it just depends on how deep the owner wishes to hammer their cheque book to achieve the lowest IRC figure his rating consultant/drinking partner thinks they can get. It would have been much fairer to state a band width that all the boats could be optimised to fall into. 875 to 910 as a suggestion. This opportunity has now been lost unless the class makes a big decision on it's future on how to trim the costs that rumour control keeps pumping out!
I think it's great that these old boats are going out racing just as hard as when they were new, but some of the changes are possibly not for the better.

Post Options Post Options   Quote laser193713 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 09 at 10:29am

Since we have had sgt pepper the rating has gone from 0.869 up to 0.874 and now its back down to 0.869, the boat is also now going faster than ever, so you could say we have optimised well.  The way we did it was make the boat go fast with more sail, and taking the engine out and the new rudder, then tweak things like the forestay position, which we moved to the bow, this allowed us to fit a jib (115% sheeting inside the shrouds) instead of the 150% genoa which was harder to use around a windward leeward course and was wasted sail area in anything over 8 knots. We lost about 2m of sail area from this change which we added to the kite and added a longer spinny pole. Moving area around like this is the best way to optimise a boat without having a new rig, you need new sails every so often so why not change them around a bit, having said that our quantum main has lasted about 4 years now, still looks new but starts to flutter a bit in strong winds, genoas take much more of a battering though, another reason to change to smaller overlap sails!

padigram View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote padigram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 10 at 9:29am

Does any crew who have put a campaign
together wish to publish the costs they have spent and
then each to their own can judge the costs as to whether
it is expensive or not!

We bought our (one off) Quarter tonner for £4k (after
months of searching for the right boat) then spent a year
rebuilding her, new deck, cockpit, coachroof, new (second
hand) rig, new deck gear. The materials cost was around
£5k plus sails. We did all of the work ourselves

Running costs - depends on where you moor & how much you
race.

The bottom line is you can go out and spend upwards of
£20k on a sorted boat or as little as £2-3k on a fixer
upper.

PBO is running a series of articles at the moment
following the rejuvenation of Minestrone by her owner.

We love the QT fleet, great racing at a very high
standard and a fleet full of people who will advise, help
and support any new entrants to the class.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>