FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Freestyle sailing moves

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
laser4000 View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote laser4000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Freestyle sailing moves
    Posted: 13 Aug 09 at 12:35pm
'death roll recovery'

sailing downwind in a gusty windy f5-6 in a laser, stick it in the piss so the mast hits the water. Sheet the main on like a mother just as a gust hits and flip the boat back up right, carry on sailing.

Only every done it twice, but once was leading an OM race right in front of the clubhouse, surprised myself so much I nearly stuck it in again...

Edited by laser4000
tmoore View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote tmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 09 at 2:36pm
when its really windy in the 300 hook both your feet into a toe strap and bear off. Get your bum out the back of the open transom and bum surf to the bottom mark.
Landlocked in Africa
RS300 - 410
Firefly F517 - Nutshell
Micro Magic RC yacht - Eclipse
sten View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote sten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 09 at 3:36pm

if you roll on to your back you will skim back up to the boat, I saw someone else do it and they almost got back in without capsizing. whilst belly dragging you can keep the boat upright by surfing left or right to balance the rig. just needs some practice on the transition from being dragged to getting back on board.

olly_love View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote olly_love Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 09 at 7:22am

we are going to try wakeboarding behind oxygen next month, thinking of doing a rib start and just pointing her down wind and popping the A4, 

should only need about 15 knots of breeze to do about 13- 14 knots so just get the rib up to speed, and hop off the size.

may be fitting a dolphin striker to the pole as well, so some "pole danceing" may be in order.

TWO FRANK-Hunter Impala

hollandsd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote hollandsd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 09 at 8:21am
Originally posted by alstorer

A Classic

You can see by the tenth shot that Tony and Char have positioned themselves well to lever the rotation to near vertical, however they lose marks as the kite is flapping, and they never quite achieve the straight-up position.

myself and andrew did this but the boat didnt end up on its side.... the kite filled and it sailed away on its arse it moved bl**dy quick,

Dan
Laser 184084
Tasar 3501
RS600 698
RS600 782
Inland sea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Inland sea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 09 at 9:14am

Originally posted by turnturtle

I fell out the back of musto skiff once and was belly-skiing on the
mainsheet- think I made 40 yards before it capsized.

Don't forget the physics lesson the Phantom taught you. Two poles replel and all that, as you seemed to run straight out the back, with a deft leap over the transom bar

Tom I can't find it now but their is a great picture of senior Bolland doing the 300 toe surf .. I'll keep digging.

Not forgetting the (now made famous by Big Wave Dave) the starfish transfer when climbing back into the 300 over the wing!

By far my most memorable / frequent though is the Mast Hug. Nice reach .. wave .. not enough tiller movement and SLAM boat stops you slide not so gracefully down the wing into the mast

RS300 426 18' SkiffTango Musto 051
B14 644
Merlinboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Merlinboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 09 at 10:41am
Charlie Chandler in his AC found a new way of dismounting his steed whilst having a play on the river!  He found that if he capsized by the bank he could get flung off the end of the seat and run up the main sail and get off dry!  I think he managed it once before he went through the mainsail!
redback View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote redback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 09 at 10:54pm
Its quite possible to sail a Laser backwards whilst standing on the bow.  The trick is to keep the rudder just out of the water and steer by heeling the boat.  Best done in about a force 1.
sten View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote sten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 09 at 7:20am

with a laser you can lift the rig out and sail it like a windsurfer, but it is risky for damage to the deck.

the other trick was mast climbing to see if you could reach the top of the mast before it capsizes it is possible. often done as a competion without the sail on when there wasn't any wind.

Wrighty View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Wrighty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 09 at 5:21pm
  You have missed out the standing on the back of a laser1, facing forward then gybe with the boom missing your legs by mm and keep the boat upright. great fun to do and good fun to see if they get it wrong.
Wrighty
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>