FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What dinghy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Stephen View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Stephen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What dinghy
    Posted: 22 Mar 05 at 9:24pm

I am looking for advice on what dinghy to buy. I currently sail an enterprise but want to change it for something more modern and competetive, (also fed up with the maintenance involved with wooden boats).

Including my crew we have a combined weight of 24st and are both about 6foot. We are seriously considering getting an rs 200 as they seem like a really fun boat that are quite testing without being beyond our capabilities. (really fancied the rs400 but our club won't allow them as their y/s is below 1000) Any advice on other classes would be great. GP's are ok but can't somehow get enthusiastic about them, merlins are too technical and expensive to be competetive. We are looking at spending ideally between £3000 - £3500 Please helppppp!!! Just want something thats got a pretty good turn of speed and not too stable so we can improve on our swimming

cheers

steve

carshalton fc View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote carshalton fc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 05 at 9:28pm

the rs200 sounds great but have you considered the laser 2000?  the best bit of advice is to try the boats first!

International 14 1503
redback View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote redback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 05 at 9:32pm

You are a tad big for a 200, but hell you'll still have fun.  The other alternative is the Lark, or Kestrel.  A Laser2000 is probaly better at taking the weight but is a bit stodgy when the wind is light.

But what is more important is what other boats are sailed at your club?

Contender443 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Contender443 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 05 at 11:04pm

If you really fancy something like a 400 then your other option could be to find a club that will accept it or has an existing fleet.

If changing club is an option then you widen your choice of classes.

Just a thought.

Bonnie Lass Contender 1764
Mike278 View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mike278 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 05 at 11:10pm
I wouldn't rule out a merlin, as in your price range boats are appearing with carbon rigs and should be competetive at club level, and could still get decent results at open meetings.
Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.
Stephen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Stephen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 05 at 10:33am

Thanx for the advice everyone! Can anybody tell me anymore about the laser 2000 as I assumed it was more of a family boat (I am just about holding on to my youth at 29 hmmm ok well thats debatable)

Whats the Kestrel like?

There are lots of different classes at my club to be honest, about 3 or 4 laser 2000s, quiite a few merlins, a few GPs, larks, ents, etc. Most popular are the lark but seem to be sailed by adult helm and tiny adult crew!

Had a sail in an rs 200 last sunday and really enjoyed it. The boom seems reasonably high giving the crew a bit more room. It was also comfortable when hiking out and the genaker was great fun! Only trouble is, other sailors at the club have said we are way way overweight.  I've since found out that the max recommended weight is 21st, so I guess 24st is a bit much but not really sure how much of a disadvantage it will actually be for racing (apart from light winds). Trouble is there is too much choice but nothing ideal.

ste

redback View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote redback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 05 at 12:27pm

Actually its not in light winds that your weight is a particular disadvantage - as long as you can keep it forward enough to keep the transom out of the water.  No its in the medium breezes that it makes a difference - when the lighter crews can plane and you can't, there is then a big difference in speed.

The 2000 is slower than a 200, by about 4%, but probably easier to sail up to its handicap in all but the lightest breezes - especially if you are on the heavy side.  The Kestrel is a little faster still but uses a conventional spinnaker, which is a great advantage on restricted waters and they are well bult and cheap.

I'd try all the classes sailed at your club if I were you.

Garry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Garry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 05 at 5:29pm
I think Dinghy Mag may be reviewing the Kestrel in their next issue (along with the Scorpion and Lark)

I wouldn't have thought 24 stone a big issue as long as you don't get heavier although if most of the weight is in your crew that might present a challenge when hoisting the spinnaker or gybing in windy weather.
Garry

Lark 2252, Contender 298

www.cuckoos.eclipse.co.uk
KnightMare View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote KnightMare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 05 at 6:13pm

yeah they are, and are currently looking for scorpions boat to do the trial

due to unforseen circumstances the Scorpion sailors have had to drop out, so If you are a Scorpion owner available on the 26th and Fancy trying a Lark and Kestral, let us know by e-mailing
claire@seascapemedia.co.uk

ChrisJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ChrisJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 05 at 7:20pm

How about keeping the Ent at Frensham (just guessing thats your club), and sailing it at fun times like the evening races.

Then get an RS400 (for which you are an ideal weight) and come and sail that at Burghfield (just south of Reading). We have a number of members who drive up from that area for the close racing we get (between 8 and 18 400's each Sunday).

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>