FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Books for Beginners

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Medway Maniac View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Medway Maniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Books for Beginners
    Posted: 28 Jun 09 at 8:27pm

So which are the best books for beginners nowadays?

Once I'd got past its presumtuous title, I thought "This is Sailing" was a cracking book for beginners - all they needed to know and in an easy to understand format. But it's now out of print, so what, I wonder, has taken its place?

I'm particularly interested on behalf of my Godson - an intellectually inclined 11-year-old (i.e. for sure he'll want to refer to the book between sails to work out what was going on), but all answers would be interesting for the thread, I guess.

redback View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote redback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 09 at 9:29pm
Sadly the very best book is "Start To Win" by Eric Twiname and that's out of print. The photos look very dated now and so unlikely to appeal to today's youth.  But what a book! It focuses on knowing what is going on, technically, tactically and strategicly and shows how all those little boat speed things that people get hung up on are mostly a distraction.
kevg View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote kevg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 09 at 8:15am

For complete beginners, learning to sail, the RYA Go Sailing book is excellent
http://www.rya.org.uk/shop/products/Pages/g32.aspx

Kevin

MerlinMags View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote MerlinMags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 09 at 9:07am
http://www.newtosailing.com/books.asp
Definately 'Go Sailing' is the best kids book at the moment.
Medway Maniac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Medway Maniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 09 at 9:51am

Except, I read somewhere that Go Sailing is for kids till the age of 11. I could be in big trouble giving that to an 11-year-old, esp. one who's currently devouring five books a week! He could probably cope with a straightforward adult book, to be honest - certainly This is Sailing.

Start to Win is (was) indeed a great book, but it's more for people who can already sail and know the basics and who now want to win. Maybe in a couple of years...

Post Reply Post Reply