FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Farr 3.7

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 112>
Author
iwsmithuk View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote iwsmithuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Farr 3.7
    Posted: 07 May 09 at 11:07am

Saw a mention of this on Sailing Anarchy.

www.sentech.co.nz/farr37

Looks like a fun boat, sort of cross between a mini Contender and a Solo on steroids.

Are there any in the UK? Has anyone on here sailed one in NZ?

Strawberry View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Strawberry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 09 at 11:22am
Farr 3.7's are great little boats. The story apparently goes something like this:

Bruce Farr turns up at the 12ft Skiff Interdominions in the late 60's with the Farr 3.7. Wins the practice race by miles. So that evening the class pass a rule that 12ft skiffs have to carry at least 2 crew members.

I saw one in the flesh in NZ. A real beauty! Foam sandwhich carbon hull. C-tech rig and fyfe main. Didn't get a chance to sail it though, I was a bit busy competing in the Inters.
Cherub 2649 "Dangerous Strawberry
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 09 at 12:14pm
I have a Farr Cherub in the UK which is a very similar shape. Two sails and more rag of course, but she's a delight to sail singlehanded.

I've heard the 12ft Skiff story too, but always umpteenth hand. I wouldn't guarantee its accuracy in any detail. Delightful as my Cherub is as a singlehander its very hard to believe that she would win races in any breeze against a similar boat two handed with all 3 sails up, let alone the 12s of that era. In a drifter possibly, but only then. I think the story may have got amalgamated with a similar one about a 12ft catamaran.

Edited by JimC
Jack Sparrow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jack Sparrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 11 at 9:32pm
Originally posted by iwsmithuk

Saw a mention of this on Sailing Anarchy.

www.sentech.co.nz/farr37

Looks like a fun boat, sort of cross between a mini Contender and a Solo on steroids.

Are there any in the UK? Has anyone on here sailed one in NZ?

There will be a Farr 3.7 in the UK in a little over 30 days. If you are interested you are more than welcome to come and sail my one. Go here for more details: UK Farr 3.7 blog
Chris 249 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Chris 249 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 11 at 10:47pm
The story, like so many other ones involving big bad race or rules committees, is exaggerated to the point of being wrong.

The tale of the 3.7 is pretty well set out in NZ Sea Spray and other magazines of the time.  Even before creating the boat Farr was musing publicly about it, but it was banned before turning up and (if I recall correctly) before being built. I've sailed against Farr 3.7s (was supposed to have a go of one but the owner's car broke down on the way) and know their old yardsticks and as Jim said they didn't come close to a 12 for all-round pace. Lovely boat, though.

The 12 Foot Skiff class here has used the stuff I dredged up for its historical information a couple of times (in an Oz Sailing mag article and for an Interdoms piece), so it seems that they think it's pretty accurate.

Edited by Chris 249 - 06 Apr 11 at 10:48pm
Foiling_Toff View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Foiling_Toff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 11 at 11:07pm
  Very interesting to see there's going to be one of these in the UK.  It's always been a boat that's caught my eye as although I love sailing my contender, I am a bit on the light side.  Kinda looks like a good lightweights alternative to me.   

Edited by Foiling_Toff - 06 Apr 11 at 11:08pm
Ross View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 11 at 1:57am
I plan on building one when I finish uni. Plans are available and I have a CNC machine at my disposal to build the bulkheads etc for me. It would be stupid not to. Mine will definitely have a kite though! Possibly a bigger main. It's not as windy hear in the UK. I already have a smallish Fyfe mainsail that might do the job.

Possibility of flopping a mould off the hull or building one full boat and a male mould to build a foam sandwich boat later on. hmmmmmmmm........money....... Confused
Ross
If you can't carry it, don't sail it!
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 11 at 8:52am
Thats great news about the 3.7 coming into the country, JS! Good to see you are documenting the trials and tribulations for us all to see, too.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jack Sparrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 11 at 10:04am
Originally posted by Rupert

Thats great news about the 3.7 coming into the country, JS! Good to see you are documenting the trials and tribulations for us all to see, too.

I'll do my best, hopefully not that many tribulations!

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jack Sparrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 11 at 10:18am
Originally posted by Ross

I plan on building one when I finish uni. Plans are available and I have a CNC machine at my disposal to build the bulkheads etc for me. It would be stupid not to. Mine will definitely have a kite though! Possibly a bigger main. It's not as windy hear in the UK. I already have a smallish Fyfe mainsail that might do the job.
Possibility of flopping a mould off the hull or building one full boat and a male mould to build a foam sandwich boat later on. hmmmmmmmm........money....... Confused

Ross... Peter Kovesi has kindly given me his nested Auto Cad file for laser cutting the parts if you are serious about the project let me know and I can send you them.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 112>