FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Memorable sailing moments

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Tornado_ALIVE View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Tornado_ALIVE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Memorable sailing moments
    Posted: 11 Mar 05 at 9:22am
I posted this on Sailing Anarchy and thought I would share it here..... Why dont you share your's

So what is you most memorable sailing moment???

Apart from every time I race in the big stuff at Sail Melbourne........

1) See ride below..... After first day of racing @ Sail Melb 04 the Tornadoes were all racing to shore dodging 470s and lasers in winds over 25 and waves up to 2.5mtr top to bottom.

One of the Ts put it in after rounding up under kite as a 470 gybed in front of them. Another crew fell of the back of the boat with his rear foot still in foot strap and was draged backwards. Skipper Gybed and put it in to save him.

As seen below we wound it up surfing down the waves. I said to my crew "hang on I am going to see how far we can push it". All I could here from the wire was "Ohhh $hit, f@ck watch that wave" repeated over and over again. As we got closer to the club and in the lee of the breakwater a big gust hit us. My crew threw the kite sheet and we survived for a few more boat lenghts and then ....... my crew lept of the backoff the boat as we went over and landed about 30 feet awayfrom the boat. As I landed I hit the boom with my leg and coul bairly walk after it. Still have a big lump on my leg a year later.

Anyway, knowing my crew was seperated from the boat, I grabed the main sheet and swam of the back of the boat to him and stuck out my leg for him to grab. As he body surfed down the waves and was within a foot of me the boat would surf down the next wave and we would be seperated again. After a few minutes of this he became exauhsted and gave up. I pulled my way back to the boat.... jumped on and retrieved the kite and lent back against the dolphin striker and the boat came up.

My crew difting out in the bay was pased by a Mistral sailor..... He stoped and asked if that was his boat off in the distance. He replyed Yes. The Mistral guy next said "Is there anybody on it". My crews reply was "I f@cken hope so".

Shortly after, another crew droped by and picked him up, returning him to the boat so we could limp in with huge grins on our faces.

2) Sail Sydney 2003, first day, wind 36 knots average gusting to 42 (measured at Airport on the bay) We were the only mad dogs to put up a spinnaker and as we tore down the course very deep we were dodging a wreaking yard of monos. As their crews held on the bows looking up at us with eyes as big a saucers, we shot past at warp speed with our eyes as big as saucers. Every gybe we did we turned the boat only a few degrees and as the sails came accross it would throw up the other hull and threaten to send us swimming. On the second downwind a gust caught us and we did go swimming. My crew was traped on top of the hull as I was pinned under the boat and for the first time in my life, thought I was seriously going to die on a sail boat. Anyway, managed to free myself and get the boat upright and limp back to shore.

sailor.jon View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote sailor.jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 05 at 9:34am
sounds like youve had some fun
hydrographer20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote hydrographer20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 05 at 9:34am
omg that loos like a hell of a day n wonder its one of your most memorable moments
byte me!- GBR 814
KnightMare View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote KnightMare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 05 at 9:39am
Yeah sounds seriously impressive.
sailor.jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote sailor.jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 05 at 9:44am
my most memerable sailing moment would have to be sailing to six haven, holland from hartlepool, in a seriously big storm, took 39 hours getting there, then coming back wasn't a breath of wind so had to motor for 52 hours
49erGBR735HSC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 49erGBR735HSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 05 at 3:24pm
Recently has to be sailing in the fog on the Forth. We could only see a few metres ahead of us in a 49er that was wanting to really power up. Luckily, we had a rib out to watch us train or we would have been stuffed on finding our way back in. The scary thing is there is two massive bridges on the Forth and container boats hammer up it at some pace, but I suppose that all added to the fun!!!!
Dennis Watson 49er GBR735
Helensburgh S.C
Boat Insurance from Noble Marine

hurricane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote hurricane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 05 at 4:42pm
hehe that sounds like a normal day on the tornadoes hehe u gotta love them!!!
sailor girl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote sailor girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 05 at 5:40pm
Tornado_Alive......What a dude!!
Sailor Girl, Queen Of The Forum!
Spot192 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Spot192 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 05 at 1:41pm
my memorable moment was when i was in my optimist times, training on lake garda. it was a steady 8bft wind and i and three training mates we were the only ones on the lake. was my best optimist ride ever!
another memorable moment was the first time i was sailing an int14. millions of capsizes a bloody knee but now i canīt take my hands off this boat!
Mike278 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mike278 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 05 at 8:50pm
my most memorable moment was racing a laser in a force 8 (53mph gusts) with a broken toe strap, and i was winning the race for over an hour, and finished 2nd.
Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>