FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Laser 2 to Rs200 or RS400

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
680laser2 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote 680laser2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Laser 2 to Rs200 or RS400
    Posted: 15 Apr 09 at 8:18pm
Hi all,

My wife and I have a Laser 2 and are looking to upgrade
to a modern asymmetric.

We've struggled to get on with the Laser 2 mainly
because of the trapeze which my wife isn't hugely keen
on!

We're about 80kg and 60kgs respectively so have been
thinking about an RS200, though wonder if perhaps we
should go for a 400.

I am a bit concerned that the RS200 will be a bit
cramped or the RS400 too powerful for my wife. I'm 6ft
however my wife is fairly lightly built.

We'll probably do a bit of club racing and some
recreational sailing. We want something reasonably
exciting and have discounted boats like the Laser 2000
for that reason.

The budget is fairly minimal looking at around £2500 -
£3000 max.

Any thoughts welcome.

Cheers
andymck View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote andymck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 09 at 10:04pm
Where do you sail? what is sailed there? I would go with what is sailed at
your club.

Andy
Andy Mck
JimC View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 09 at 11:09pm
Go and sail both: you seem fairly sorted with your requirements. The 400 has a pretty baby kite and the hoists and drops (which are what really sap the energy) aren't too strenuous.

Performance/feel wise you won't find them very different from the L2 which is probably a better shape for all outspeed.

Edited by JimC
Ross View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 09 at 10:00am
Personally I would have the Laser 2 over both of them and an N12 if I had to choose a sitting down boat. Sounds like you want a 400 though.
Ross
If you can't carry it, don't sail it!
vscott View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote vscott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 09 at 10:09am
Trapezeing is much more comfortable than hiking out!

If possible you should try both and then decide - you might stick to the Laser2
Mk IV Osprey 1314 Think Again

Kielder Water Sailing Club
Wes View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Wes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 09 at 9:11pm

At that size the RS200 would be a better bet, although the 400 is a great boat. I'm 6ft and I can easily fit around a 200 so size won't be an issue. The 200 is a better bet for a small crew, the sheet loads in the front of a 400 can be faily high. Not the sort of thing to encourage a smaller lady to start to sail. 200's also happen to be the most competative 2 person hiker in the country so if you get into open meets, you'll have some fun. 400's do tend to be a little cheaper than 200's, but then you get it back on the resale. I would reccomend the 200 even if you can't get a test sail but make sure you get your wife to try out a 400 before you buy one and if she likes it, you'll be able to get a lot of fun for your money.

Ross - please note, "Modern asymmetric" - not a national 12. Any why on earth would you want the 2000? Why take the slowest boat from the 3? Both will feel more sporty than the L2K which is a bit of a barge. Not too sure where the all out speed thing comes from either, they seem to be slower than a 200 on all points of sail, let alone a 400!

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 09 at 8:22am

Having sailed both quite a lot, I think the 400 is a nicer boat, but the sheet loads in the jib are quite high and the kite system, whilst not difficult, is more of a kerfuffle than on the 200.  If you are sailing on the sea the 400 may be a bit of a struggle.

The 200 has big fleets and has very low sheet loads for the crew. I think a large part of the reason the 200 has proven so popular is that the kite so easy, probably the easiest kite on any boat ever. However it is tippier than the 400, and therefore can feel less secure, but the chances (and consequences) of capsizing are fairly small. The 200 doesn't like an overly heavy helm sitting at the back, but at 6ft and 80kg that is no problem.

Wes - I think Ross was referring to the Laser 2, not the 2k.

Jamesd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jamesd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 09 at 9:02am

hmmm i tend to disagree.

the 400 does not take a lot of grunt and with a largest helm you would be fine. i know alot of 4's crewed by small petite girls.

the loads are not that high in the jib and if they are, just stick some ratchet blocks on them or 2:1 sheets. They are awesome boats to sail and without doubt one of the most harmonic, well behaved boats designed for a long long time.

the 200 is also a good boat, a little under-powered if you ask me, but then i guess ive come from larger, faster dinghies. I never liked the 200, but the racing makes up for the boat. kinda like laser racing. for me that is!

if for excitement, id probably go for the 400 as its just got a bit more power in the kite which means it gets up and goes alot earlier and you dont have to sit there with your hand on the boom downwind.

oh and hiking a 400 is like sitting on a sofa compared with the 200.

skslr View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote skslr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 09 at 10:15am

I am 1,9 m, about 85 kg, and still felt alright in the RS200, even at the front.

It lacks the power of the RS400 but I liked the way the RS200 is fitted out much more.

yellowhammer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote yellowhammer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 09 at 12:57pm

Originally posted by 680laser2

We've struggled to get on with the Laser 2 mainly
because of the trapeze which my wife isn't hugely keen
on!

We'll probably do a bit of club racing and some
recreational sailing.

The budget is fairly minimal looking at around £2500 -
£3000 max.

I crewed and helmed a 200 in a F4-5 in club racing at Weir Wood, after a 3000 open ... 3-sail planing downwind was great fun, where a 400 might be intimidating ... hiking hard for long stretches upwind in this wind strength was uncomfortable, give me a trapeze any day ... your wife may have a change of heart after trying. The choice might be better based on the size of your water and what boat types are favoured there.

Have you considered a Laser 3000, RS 500 or Vago ... taking away the faff of a symmetric kite might make trapezing more pleasurable? One of the last Laser 3000s built has just sold on the class website for an advertised £2500.

http://www.3000class.org.uk/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=81

Laser 3000 @ Leigh & Lowton SC
www.3000class.org.uk
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>