FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Spinnaker

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
neilboys View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote neilboys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spinnaker
    Posted: 11 Mar 05 at 8:52pm
Thanks again..............Lark website took ages to download so still trying
redback View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote redback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 05 at 1:05am

Very often a deck eye screwed to the centre of the pole means the system with a key hole type ring is being used.  A wire keyhole has a fixed length uphaul attached to the top of it and a bungy downhaul attached to the bottom of it.  The deck eye is screwed to the pole in the middle and at right angles to the hooks at the end.  To use it pass the pole through the keyhole and attach the outer pole end to the sheet, the inner pole end to the eye on the mast.  The deck eye stops the key hole at half way along the pole and this braces it at the correct height.  When you want to gybe, release the sheet from the outer end, release the pole from the mast and twist the pole through 90 degrees.  The deck eye now slipes down the pole and when the pole is pushed out on the new side the uphaul and down haul brace it at the correct height.

Wow, a picture is worth a thousand words and this would certainly be the case here.  I'll see if I can find one.  But as a previous poster has said you may find a drawing on another site since this system is also used by many classes such as the 420, 470, Scorpion, Fireball, Wayfarer, Lark and others.  Personally I like the ramp method mentioned above which is very similar in that the uphaul and downhaul are restricted from sliding the length of the pole by something in the middle.

Garry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Garry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 05 at 10:19am
I hadn't thought of that system its been such a long time since I've ever seen anyone use it! This may not be 100% correct but should give you an idea.

Hope this helps

Edited by Garry
Garry

Lark 2252, Contender 298

www.cuckoos.eclipse.co.uk
carshalton fc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote carshalton fc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 05 at 6:49pm
did you draw that yourself on paint?
International 14 1503
KnightMare View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote KnightMare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 05 at 7:11pm

Lol yeah That would need a picture I think.

I got some pictures of the pole system on an old boat of mine, and that has a keyhole system but with a ramp on the pole.

Post Options Post Options   Quote KnightMare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 05 at 6:43pm

ok sorry these pictures arent very clear, I may resort to drawing a diagram like garry.

and the deck layout. 

Edited by KnightMare
neilboys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote neilboys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 05 at 8:57pm
KnightMare/Garry................the replies have been really useful. We should get it rigged and hopefully flying soon !

Post Options Post Options   Quote KnightMare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 05 at 9:21pm

Cool glad to have helped, if there is anything else just 'yell'

What club do you sail at? and do you know the name/ no. of the cadet?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12