FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Twin wire 505

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
jamesint505 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote jamesint505 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Twin wire 505
    Posted: 07 Mar 05 at 7:16pm

What do you reckon a twin wire 505 would go like?Just feel a plan coming together thats all!!

505 7567
redback View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote redback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 05 at 7:19pm
Worth trying.  Do you know Paul Elvstrom won a 5o5 Worlds with a scratch crew - off the beach.  He taped a cane to the tiller extension and helmed from the trapeze.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote jamesint505 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 05 at 7:25pm

I personally think it would be ballistic !!!

especially upwind just a bit frightened my hull wont take it!!

505 7567
Wave Rider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Wave Rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 05 at 8:40pm
I think it might work.....tempting to try it on the Fireball..............bad idea i know !
           -[Franko]-
Chew Valley Lake Sailing Club
           RS600 933
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote jamesint505 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 05 at 9:04pm
just got a new mast and it has a set of holes where the ol trapeze wires used to be and another set further up .You are supposed to put your trapeze wires in the top holes and the lower ones have a couple of wires coming out and attach to the trapeze wires.its supposed to stop the mast inverting with the big kite.I was told you could sail with the wire on the lower holes wiith no problems this leaves two holes just begging for another set of wires though!!!!
505 7567
Calum_Reid View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Calum_Reid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 05 at 10:47pm
Well there are people who sail 505's single handed helming from the wire so if they can manage that?
Blobby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Blobby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 05 at 5:52am
Should work upwind, but I doubt you will go much faster downhill - I think the 505 has a bit too much curve in the rocker line which sucks it down in the water too much to really let go and rip downwind - but I would be happy to be proved wrong...
hydrographer20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote hydrographer20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 05 at 8:24am
i love to trapeze, i tihnk t makes sailing so thrilling and i like ur idea
byte me!- GBR 814
lozza View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote lozza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 05 at 8:55am

Its a bit dodgy trapezing from the top holes upwind.  If its not windy enough, the mast will bend towards you and can't support the leverage, alot of boats pull the trapeze wires in to the lower holes upwind and use the top holes downwind.

Might be okay if the guy using the top holes is quite light tho.

Would be very interesting to see how long a gybe takes when its windy!!!

Life's a reach, then you gybe
redback View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote redback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 05 at 6:45pm
How the hell do they change holes when they change course?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>