FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Intro to Dinghy Sailing (RYA Start Saili

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
jbellj View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote jbellj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Intro to Dinghy Sailing (RYA Start Saili
    Posted: 10 Mar 09 at 12:59pm
Not sure if this is right place but can you tell me where I can attend this course in Scotland, I live in Stirling, at a reasonable price in 2009?

Ideally I'd like to attend this next month.
JohnW View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote JohnW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 09 at 1:08pm
The RYA web site has a list of training centres that you can search

Click

alstorer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote alstorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 09 at 1:12pm
There's various options. Commercial, try Port Edgar sailing school.
Non commercial, there's various clubs in the area that are teaching centres, but you'll probably have to take out a year's membership to take a course, and dates and places will be limited. I used to be a member and instructor (when I lived in that part of the country) at Loch Venachar SC- they have a combined Start Sailing ad Basic Sailing over two weekends in May, and can recommend them- it's a fantastic club. I'd recommend that you do the Basic Sailing as well regardless of where you intend to learn.

Hope that's of some help.
-_
Al
jbellj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jbellj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 09 at 1:18pm
Thanks folks, Loch Venachar is expensive, you need to pay a joining fee, plus the annual membership and training costs!

Think it will be Port Edgar.
alstorer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote alstorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 09 at 1:21pm
But where do intend to sail once you've learned?
-_
Al
jbellj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jbellj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 09 at 2:44pm
I've never sailed before, so this is a real "taster" for me - I'm not critisiing the prices at Venachar either - it's a great location for me should I keep sailing, however will cost about £265 to do the course..

Join - £125
Membership - £90
Course - £50

Port Edgar is only about £120 for the 2 day course.
alstorer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote alstorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 09 at 3:41pm
Fair enough- once the course has convinced you it's a good idea to keep sailing, the annual membership is really rather good value. I'd forgotten the joining fee was quite so high by comparison.
-_
Al
Lukepiewalker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Lukepiewalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 09 at 7:41pm
Bear in mind many sailing clubs will let you do courses without joining at the full rate. I know that course fees at my club are inclusive of a 'training' membership for insurance porpoises and the like.
Have you looked at Dalgety Bay SC or Largo Bay SC on the forth, or Newburgh SC on the Tay?
There's the outdoor centre at Lochore Meadows country park.
Maybe Linlithgow Loch SC or Clyde Cruising Club at Bardowie but can't find much info on the web on those.
Ex-Finn GBR533 "Pie Hard"
Ex-National 12 3253 "Seawitch"
Ex-National 12 2961 "Curved Air"
Ex-Mirror 59096 "Voodoo Chile"
alstorer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote alstorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 09 at 9:29pm
Unless it has restarted, Linlithgow Loch SC has been out of existence since (I think) 2002.

Checking, Venachar do indeed allow adults to join as "training" members, with the cost deducted from the fees if/when you join properly- and from Stirling, it's a lot quicker to get there than the Fife coast clubs.
-_
Al
Lukepiewalker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Lukepiewalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 09 at 10:15pm
Shows how much I've been paying attention...
Ex-Finn GBR533 "Pie Hard"
Ex-National 12 3253 "Seawitch"
Ex-National 12 2961 "Curved Air"
Ex-Mirror 59096 "Voodoo Chile"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>