FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

600, inside the hull, lots of rotten wood

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
mike ellis View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote mike ellis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 600, inside the hull, lots of rotten wood
    Posted: 08 Jan 09 at 6:53pm
I prefer the idea of only making small holes in the boat and fiddling around with string and stuff to line it all up to the alternative of making a gaping great hole in the foredeck. That just seems wrong to me (even though it will probably be easier to get to the inside of the boat like that).
600 732, will call it Sticks and Stones when i get round to it.
Also International 14, 1318
Ross View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 09 at 8:17pm
What ever you do, do it right first time!
Ross
If you can't carry it, don't sail it!
craiggo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote craiggo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 09 at 11:39pm
Fiddly but possible.

Let us know how it goes

One thing I have learnt in repairing my boats is that often the easiest way of making a small repair is to remove an unfeasibly large area around the damage and re-build it. This is often less fiddly and quicker in the long term.
Stevie_GTI View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Stevie_GTI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 09 at 2:14am

a lot of people get carried away with how difficult they think cutting a big hole in a boat and repairing it is. Best thing to do is just not be shy, but make sure you tilt the jig-saw blade the correct way or you will have issues.

I'm guessing that when you spoke to LDC that advice will have come from miller, and i would trust what he says to do. When you replace the blocks of wood, it is a good idea to paint them in resin, therefore sealing them from any water which may get into the boat and preventing any rotting.

personally, i would just cut a big hole out so i could get in there, get rid of all the dead wood and replace it all, then do the hole repair.

Post Options Post Options   Quote mike ellis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 09 at 6:52pm
alright seeing as many people are suggesting the make-a-really-big-mess-to-fix-a-smaller-one solution, how do you go about mending a large hole that you've made in the foredeck? What can you use to layer the glass against whilst it's drying? And how do you form this into a near-match to the shape of the old foredeck?
ratface View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ratface Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 09 at 7:41pm
mike i believe you 'stick' the area of the deck you cut off back on, hence tilting the jig-saw the correct way?

*edit- bad grammar*

Edited by ratface
BLYM
Hertfordshire Sailing team
Uk-Cherub 2644
Laser 4000 -4089
craiggo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote craiggo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 09 at 10:42pm
Alternatively if your a bit lively with a jigsaw, once you have the area cut out, epoxy in some lap joints on all four edges (assuming you've cut a rectangle out). They dont have to be full length, just enough to support the cut out section when you put it back. Once you've finished the fiddly repair inside then bond the cutout piece onto the lap joints and then dremel a bit of a 'v' along the interfaces and fill with matched gel-coat.

Or give it to LDC or Ashdown Marine to sort out
Stevie_GTI View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Stevie_GTI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 09 at 3:31am

cut out your shape, easiest shape is a circle in my opinion. you need to tilt the blade so that when you have cut the shape out you can sit it back over the whole. (from the top of the blade to the bottom, the blade points towards the centre of the whole).Its best to draw a circle first and then make some marks on it so you know which orientation if fits back on.

Then do your repair work in the inside of the hull.

And to attach the cut out shape back, mix up a thick epoxy bog mix (bubbles, silica, microfibres), and apply a good amount to the edges of the shape, and the hole. Then position the shape into the hole and push down gently so the mix oozes out, trying all the time to get the shape in the exact correct place so it is fair with the hull. Let this mix go off fully.Use a long straight edge to assist with this.

Then you will need to grind the gel-coat and a small bit of laminate away around the join, you need to be carefull you dont go into the core. Probably looking at a 40mm with of ground back area all the way around the join. You will then need to put 2 layers of glass over the area(only wet out the bits in the ground off area though!!), make sure this is consolidated well, and then peel ply over the top, if you have the facilities then vac this stage down.

When that has gone off you need to sand the laminate so it is nice and fair and slightly below the height of the rest of the hull. Once you are happy with the shaping, it is the gelling stage. Providing all the previous stages went well the gel should be pretty easy. Apply the gel to the ground back circle (may need a couple of layers), and finish off by sanding through the grades and polishing.

Hope this helped

Post Options Post Options   Quote mike ellis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 09 at 3:09pm
Ok, I think I could probably manage the big-hole-in-the-foredeck method but I don't trust myself to put it back together neatly enough so I'm going to try doing it the fiddly way that RS suggested and if it all goes horribly wrong then I'll use a big hole in the foredeck to fix it but only if I really have to.
Jamie600 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jamie600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 09 at 10:25am

You could cut the hole and do the repair yourself to keep the cost down but then get LDC to do an invisible repair

RS600 1001
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>