FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

RS 600 Daggerboard

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
600sailor670 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote 600sailor670 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RS 600 Daggerboard
    Posted: 04 Dec 08 at 5:39pm

Hi everyone

Managed to take a large chunk out of the trailing edge of my 600 daggerboard last weekend and was wondering how best to repair it. I think the construction is polyster resin, althought if anyone could confirm that, that would be great. I could do with advice on what the correct materials to use for this are and how best to strengthen the area (e.g. put metal pins in, add fibres to the resin etc).

It seems the foil is constructed from two halves and bonded with resin with a foam core, and the majority of the broken part is one half of the trailing edge and a large chunk of internal material(as shown in pic two "the void area"). (so there is still one side of glass fibre and resin). I need to be able to build this repair up again and it be strong enough to be stood upon when capsized and also not be knocked out easily, therefore it has to be done with the correct materials and not a botch job. Any advice would be much appreicated,

Many thanks

George

Here are some pics

RS600-670
RS600FF - 793
Stevie_GTI View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Stevie_GTI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 08 at 6:21pm
where abouts are you based?
600sailor670 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 600sailor670 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 08 at 6:29pm
Midlands Northamptonshire
RS600-670
RS600FF - 793
radixon View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote radixon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 08 at 6:32pm
Ouch!

I am no expert. knocked a chunk off my Laser one, but cos I had the other bit managed to glue it back together but used pins as I had two bits.
theycallmegod View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote theycallmegod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 08 at 7:50pm
B14 daggerboards are made out of different stuff, but this thread might still be useful...
B14 698
Laser 135776
Stevie_GTI View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Stevie_GTI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 08 at 8:18pm

im assuming your sail number is 670, and the board is the original from the boat??the solution on the linked thread is ok, but i would do it a different way. Do you want the repair to be invisible after its done?

will try and find out if the board is polyester or epoxy first tho

Ian29937 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ian29937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 08 at 11:06pm

If you're a member of the association, Pete Vincent did a neat piece on repairing RS boards in the association magazine a little while ago. 

Alternatively have you spoken to the class association or RS?  You don't have to be an association member to join the RS600 Yahoo group (forum) and I'm sure they'll help.

Cheers

Ian

craiggo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote craiggo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 08 at 8:18am
The easiest way I have found to repair RS foils is to first cut out any loose material then lightly abrade the area. On one side of the foil stick some tape down over the area that your trying to rebuild (pull it taught as you press it down), this will hopefully allo you to maintain the shape in the repaired area without having to sand to much excess off.
Mix up some West Epoxy with a generous amount of colloidal silica until its a thick paste then slap it into the area your building back up. If the area is very large its sometimes best to build it up in layers. Anyway once you have it fully filled its just a case of getting out the wet and dry and finishing to a good finish , I find that a final polish with 900grit paper gives a good enough finish.
If you dont mind the fact that the repair is visible then its done, or if you want to paint it you'll need to rebuild the repair slightly undersize 0.5mm to allow for paint/gelcoat.

Paul
Ian29937 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ian29937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 08 at 9:40am

Originally posted by craiggo

The easiest way I have found to repair RS foils is to first cut out any loose material then lightly abrade the area. On one side of the foil stick some tape down over the area that your trying to rebuild (pull it taught as you press it down), this will hopefully allo you to maintain the shape in the repaired area without having to sand to much excess off.
Mix up some West Epoxy with a generous amount of colloidal silica until its a thick paste then slap it into the area your building back up. If the area is very large its sometimes best to build it up in layers. Anyway once you have it fully filled its just a case of getting out the wet and dry and finishing to a good finish , I find that a final polish with 900grit paper gives a good enough finish.
If you dont mind the fact that the repair is visible then its done, or if you want to paint it you'll need to rebuild the repair slightly undersize 0.5mm to allow for paint/gelcoat.

Paul

I do pretty much the same with one additional step for large dents where the damage has extended past the gel coat and damaged the glass layer.  In these situations I'll incorporate a piece of glass tape in an initial layer.

Doesn't look great but does the job.

Cheers

Ian

Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 08 at 12:27pm
If the foils are true white, a good way of hiding the repair is to use car primer spray paint, blending the edge of the spray area. Once this has been rubbed down with 1200 grit, is is very difficult to see the difference. 
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
 Post Reply Post Reply