FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Summer Holiday Jobs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
A Seabadger View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote A Seabadger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Summer Holiday Jobs
    Posted: 06 Nov 08 at 5:35pm
After finishing my exams this summer I fancy going to work as a Dingy instructor somewhere warm and sunny for one of the holiday companies - Menorca sailing, Sunsail, Mark Warner etc.

I will be 18. Already have my Dingy instructor certificate with Racing endorcement. What I would like to know is does anyone have experience of working for these companies? Which have the best working conditions? Who pays the best? Which would anyone recommend? Any advice?

Thanks
I don't suffer from insanity...I enjoy every moment of it.
Guest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Guest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 08 at 5:41pm

I did a season in Menorca; great fun, hard work and low pay ...

You don't take these jobs for the money you do it for the experience which I'd say is posative.

alstorer View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote alstorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 08 at 6:39pm
From what I remember, they all pay fairly similar- which is not much.

When I was out (on holiday) in Minorca I was actually suprised at quite how much sailing the instructors seemed to get. I'm not sure whether they get as much in full high season though. Most people I know that have worked for them have enjoyed it a lot.

I did three summers with Rockley Watersports- they're a bit of a different proposition to the Med ones. At the French centres, the work is a mix of "Multi Activity" courses for (mainly) school groups- focused on sailing, but with cycling, kayaking and other activities mixed in) and teaching RYA courses- mainly beginner courses, but with some intermediate as well. They have much less "exciting" fleets, though all the centres have a few plastic beach cats- some have Dart 16s.

Accomodation is in "chalet" style tents. These are a bit of an experience. Although you're not in the Med, daytime tempratures can easily reach the high 30s, and the tents then get stifling. Being near the Atlantic coast, heavy rain isn far from unheard of, especially after a really hot spell. Seriously heavy rain- I can remember one evening trying to run an activity on the lake-beach, in the pouring rain. It was already what I'd normally think of as "p***ing it down", when we looked out over the lake and saw what looked like a solid wall of water coming down. So yeah, accomodation could be better!

The centres are on three lakes. Mayotte and Rive are on the same large lake, lovely clear blue fresh water. Reserve is near by, on a lake connected by a small canal. Again, a large clear lake.

Rivage, where I mainly worked, is about an hours drive south. The lake is much smaller, shallow and murky.

All the south-west france centres are near excellent surfing- something unique to Rockley's centres, as the Med tends to be lousy for surf! Some of the centres offer surfing as an activity, and when I worked there we were allowed to borrow the centre's boards in the evenings. Rivage is probably the best for surfing- the nearest beach being about five minutes drive, and Hossegor, which hosts world-class events, is about twenty minutes drive.

With all the surf towns in the area, the nightlife locally is pretty good- quite common to drive to a town, got out on the lash, sleep on the beach (pretty safe, and the police don't like people sleeping in the carparks) and drive back before work!

IF you've got a car, or get good friends with someone there who has, it's possible to further afield- you're not stuck on an island like at many Med centres.

As I said, and as Rich said, everyone pays much the same, and you'll not make money from it. Depends what sort of place you want to be.
radixon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote radixon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 08 at 10:28pm
Based on what you have listed above, the only company I know that pays the best abroad is Crystal Holidays. (a TUI company) The problem you will have is you are after a short season, so normally they take those with at least some experience behind them. Ok you won't get paid a lot, you will have an enjoyable summer in the sunshine with customers that want to be there as they have paid to come on holiday. From what I understand from people who have worked there, you get paid some money direct into your bank account, the rest gets given to you in Euros.

As has been said, you won;t end up coming away a millionaire. You go out there for the lifestyle or working abroad.

I worked at 18 on a campsite in Switzerland (unrelated to sailing) and got paid £110 a week. Those working in France only got £90 a week. This isn;t loads, but it is enough to live on, have fun with and take a little back with you. Obviously times have moved on from when I did this but I doubt the pay would of increased loads as you are getting accomodation, bills (ie electric), flights all paid for you.

If you want to work as a DI but want to come away with more money, then you are better staying in this country (ok not as glamourous) but the pay is something like £200 a week including accomodation. It all depends on where you end up.

Some centres in the UK provide accomodation in tents, others chalets, caravans etc all vary depending on where you want to go.

Without whittering on too much, the time to apply is now, get yourself an interview and go from there.

Live is great working as an instructor, good atmosphere and good pals who can assist in getting jobs in other centre but you need to apply before others do.

PM me if you want any other questions answered
laser4000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote laser4000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 08 at 8:55am
Originally posted by A Seabadger

After finishing my exams this summer I fancy going to work as a Dingy instructor somewhere warm and sunny for one of the holiday companies - Menorca sailing, Sunsail, Mark Warner etc.

I will be 18. Already have my Dingy instructor certificate with Racing endorcement. What I would like to know is does anyone have experience of working for these companies? Which have the best working conditions? Who pays the best? Which would anyone recommend? Any advice?

Thanks

I'd tick up some more qualifications - Powerboat L2 (often can be got through sailing clubs), First Aid & Poss VHF. If you can afford it then go for Safety Boat too.  Plus then make sure you've had some time on the water teaching in some form or other, as that shows application, willingness to work and experience. I know that's now probably hard to do as you've got exams etc, but it would help make you stand out at interview from the 'average punter'

If you're into racing rather than just pottering then pick minorca as they've got the best range of kit by far, and in the later afternoons you can get to take clients out on joyrides if they want to 'try a boat' which can be a giggle. If you like cats and /or windsurfing then try for wildwind

I spent a summer working at Emsworth Sailing School (showing my age as it's been gone for years) and it was one of the best summers I've had. Enjoy wherever you end up

radixon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote radixon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 08 at 10:26am

Originally posted by laser4000

I'd tick up some more qualifications - Powerboat L2 (often can be got through sailing clubs), First Aid & Poss VHF.

Sorry to correct you but you need your PB2 and First Aid to qualify as a Dinghy instructor anyway, so he should have them!

laser4000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote laser4000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 10 at 6:43pm
Originally posted by radixon

Originally posted by laser4000

I'd tick up some more qualifications - Powerboat L2 (often can be got through sailing clubs), First Aid & Poss VHF.

Sorry to correct you but you need your PB2 and First Aid to qualify as a Dinghy instructor anyway, so he should have them!

Fairy Nuff - you didn't in my day ;-)
A Seabadger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote A Seabadger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 10 at 6:29pm
As the orriginal post was Nov 2008: For the record Sea Badger Spent last summer holiday in Fiji teaching english she then spent this summer at Minorca sailing and enjoyed it. Neither were paid jobs but both seem to have given her maturity and confidence. So to anyone thinking of doing anything exciting in their summer breaks the advice is "go for it". Once you hit the world of work 12 week summer holidays will be a thing of the past.

Sea Badgers Mum
(she's back at uni)
I don't suffer from insanity...I enjoy every moment of it.
Willpeters21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Willpeters21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 12 at 4:03pm
I was on their website the other day and Rockley are advertising loads of Watersports Jobs if anyone is interested....
radixon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote radixon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 12 at 5:04pm
Will - do you work for Rockley?
 Post Reply Post Reply